Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Plug-in that displays which Eclipse plug-in defines an element(Question if some tool like this exists, or how something like that might be built)
Plug-in that displays which Eclipse plug-in defines an element [message #896997] Fri, 20 July 2012 18:04 Go to next message
Ryan O'Meara is currently offline Ryan O'MearaFriend
Hi,

I am trying to integrate a plug-in I am working on with existing eclipse plug-ins. One of the issues I keep hitting if figuring out what plug-in defines what I need. For example, I'd like an aspect of my plug-in to respect the user's automatic update settings. Does anyone know if there is an eclipse plugin which allows the user to click on some element in the eclipse ui and see what eclipse plug-in defines/provides it?

If one doesn't currently exist, does anyone know of a way to access this information within an eclipse plugin (I'd be interested in throwing together such a tool if there is a way to do it - I'm thinking of something similar to how some UI testers work, by sending click calls and such directly to the element using its name - they must be able to extract the name somehow during the record process in order to use it - I think this is how google's window tester system operates)

Thanks!
Re: Plug-in that displays which Eclipse plug-in defines an element [message #897066 is a reply to message #896997] Sat, 21 July 2012 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Krakora is currently offline Jan KrakoraFriend
Hi,

look at this article, there might by information that are useful for you, mainly the Spy plugin
http://www.vogella.com/articles/EclipseCodeAccess/article.html

PDE also offers the "Plugin registry" View
http://help.eclipse.org/juno/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.pde.doc.user%2Fguide%2Ftools%2Fviews%2Fplugin_registry.htm&cp=4_3_8_0
Re: Plug-in that displays which Eclipse plug-in defines an element [message #898897 is a reply to message #897066] Sat, 28 July 2012 22:08 Go to previous message
Ryan O'Meara is currently offline Ryan O'MearaFriend
Hi,

Thanks, the Plug-in Spy is basically exactly what I was looking for - quite the useful feature, never knew it was there before.
Previous Topic:Cheat sheet on wizards
Next Topic:RCP P2 Update results in broken product after update
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:57:40 GMT 2024