Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » RAP, Eclipse E4 and SWT Browser Edition
RAP, Eclipse E4 and SWT Browser Edition [message #895669] Sat, 14 July 2012 14:14
Angelo ZERR is currently offline Angelo ZERRFriend
Hi RAP Team,

I have read the tweet of Lars Vogel who has met Ralf to discuss about RAP and Eclispe E4. Great news!

I suppose that RAP team will start the development from scratch (for Workbench) to support E4, so I would like tell you about an idea that I have since long time (this idea was already studied and I would like know your opinion).

I love RAP : it's really easy to provide Plugin for IDE, RCP and RAP Application both with single sourcing but the only thing I don't like is the "Server centric" behaviour.

Server centric has the avantage that your Java code works with any Browser (because it's the server which manages that and not the client), but :

1. you have every time communication with Ajax between client and server (ex : you select a menu item, client calls the server to store the state of the menu on server side). So sometimes (when your network is not good for a lot of Ajax request), RAP Application are slowly.
  2. stores on HTTP session the UI widgets could give some problem with memory on server side.

I know this topic was already spoken (client vs server centric) and RAP is based on server centric, but I tell me why RAP could not provide the 2 modes server or client centric with RAP?

GWT manages client centric mode (compile Java to Javascript) and it works great. I think it should be very fantastic if we could use SWT Widget and compile it on Javascript like the GWT wigets with the GWT compiler (JSNI).

This idea was already studied with SWT Browser Edition which compiles SWT to Javascript Dojo widget. This project was given up (for orion) and I tell me why?

For RAP we could have a Qooxdoo SWT Browser Edition like (compile SWT to Javascript Qooxdo widgets).

What do you think about this idea?

It exists too http://j2s.sourceforge.net/ project but it seems dead, and I think it should be better to use GWT compiler (none offense to j2s team, but GWT has a lot of developers to continue the project)?

I know it's a big big work (must manage SWT, and after JFace Databinding and after E4 Workbench, etc), but I would like know your opinion about this idea and perhaps you know why SWT Browser Edition was given up?

Many thank's for your reply.

Regards Angelo
Previous Topic:RedirectServlet and WAR
Next Topic:Perspective Icon
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:03:12 GMT 2024