Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EPF » Extending the EPF data model
Extending the EPF data model [message #893221] Tue, 03 July 2012 09:27 Go to next message
Thomas Pepio is currently offline Thomas PepioFriend
Hi everybody,

I'm studying EPF for business purpose, and I'm asked to see how far I can customize the static html interface that EPF produces.

What I currently understand of EPF is :
- it uses EMF to generate graphically the objects ... (method content, method plugin, configurations etc.) AND the method content objects (delivery process, practice, task etc.).

- method content is persisted as XMI files (which I believe is a standard format for UML data storage in XML format). These files are those who will be processed in order to generate the static interface.

- this interface generating process is made by JTidy. I believe every object that the EPF user can manipulate has a template which JTidy understands.

First question : is my understanding correct ?

Second question : is the model manipulated by the EPF user customizable ? Is EPF intended to let the user produce his own data model ? I see that EPF allows me to create custom categories. But if I find it too "generic", can I easily introduce a "competency" object, and make it useable in EPF like a "task", "roles" etc. ?

Third question : I searched for these template files used by JTidy, but didn't find them. Are they included in the EPF package ? Is EPF intended to let the user create it's own templates ?

By advance, thank you for the time you'll spend answering me Smile !

Have a nice day.

Re: Extending the EPF data model [message #893227 is a reply to message #893221] Tue, 03 July 2012 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edited : mistake.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 July 2012 09:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Extending the EPF data model [message #893694 is a reply to message #893221] Thu, 05 July 2012 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Onno van der Straaten is currently offline Onno van der StraatenFriend
You can customize the HTML interface, see for example a previous discussion on epf-dev. I can't post hyperlinks here - it is not allowed here for some reason - but if you search using Google for "msg03848.html" and "epf", you will find it.

You could also consider using Rational Method Composer (RMC) as it offers better support for customization through skins. Regardless of your choice and depending on degree of customization this will involve programming using XSLT.

The answer to second question is 'no' I'm afraid. The meta model is based on SPEM and cannot be changed.

Third question is also anwered in the discussion on epf-dev.
Re: Extending the EPF data model [message #893765 is a reply to message #893694] Thu, 05 July 2012 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've focused on the model extension issue, and my conclusions were that, indeed, it's not possible.

I will now concentrate on the HTML interface. Your reply will be helpful.

Thanks a lot for you reply !
Re: Extending the EPF data model [message #893822 is a reply to message #893765] Thu, 05 July 2012 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, here is the topic you were talking about : http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/epf-dev/msg03848.html.

It was helpful, I reached the folder where all the .xsl files are. I'm still confused because I can't see the file that generates HTML for "delivery process" objects. Any clue ?
Re: Extending the EPF data model [message #893958 is a reply to message #893822] Fri, 06 July 2012 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update : I can see that (at least) "Delivery process", "Phase" and "Iteration" share the same layout.

I keep digging.
Re: Extending the EPF data model [message #893976 is a reply to message #893958] Fri, 06 July 2012 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, it seems that XLST templates used for all these objects are :
- activity_wbs.xsl : template for "Work breakdown structure" part (pretty sure).
- activity_tbs.xsl : template for "Team allocation" part (not verified, but pretty sure).
- activity_wpbs.xsl : template for "Work product usage" part (not verified, pretty sure).

Keep digging.
Re: Extending the EPF data model [message #894421 is a reply to message #893976] Mon, 09 July 2012 07:50 Go to previous message
Hi Onno, I have an additional question for you.

In the thread you mentionned, you were speaking of re-developing the XSL template entierely, because refactor on existing XSL files would only grant the developer to occur minor changes.

What I don't understand is : since the XSL templates uses EPF objet's atributes, and these objects are not human-readable (for they're .class files), how can I develop my own template ? Am I missing something ?

Thank you by advance.
Previous Topic:Software update in EPF Composer
Next Topic:Work Product View in Process
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 11:54:37 GMT 2024