Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » ISharedImages.IMG_DEC_FIELD_* not registered in 4.2
ISharedImages.IMG_DEC_FIELD_* not registered in 4.2 [message #891926] Tue, 26 June 2012 15:27 Go to next message
Marcelo Paternostro is currently offline Marcelo PaternostroFriend
Hi,

One of the use cases of the product we are developing was not working properly on 4.2 and I was asked to try to understand what was happening. It was not to difficult to nail down the problems: the images ISharedImages.IMG_DEC_FIELD_ERROR and ISharedImages.IMG_DEC_FIELD_WARNING are not being declared in 4.2 thus ISharedImages.getImage(String) and ISharedImages.getImageDescriptor(String) return null. In 3.x these images are, coincidently, the first two to be registered at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchImages.declareImages().

Was this an intentional change? It seems to be something that causes more harm than good but, if this is not a mistake, I will assume someone has put some though into it. However, in that case, I would suggest (1) removing the image which is still available via its URL and, way more important, (2) PLEASE deprecate the constants in ISharedImages: at least this would turn such a runtime-behaviour change into something we can detect at development time.

Btw, I obviously don't mind opening a bug to track this but thought it would be good to discuss it here first.

Cheers,
Marcelo
Re: ISharedImages.IMG_DEC_FIELD_* not registered in 4.2 [message #892527 is a reply to message #891926] Thu, 28 June 2012 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

It was a change in 3.6 that wasn't merged into 4.x. I've opened bug https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=383810

PW

Re: ISharedImages.IMG_DEC_FIELD_* not registered in 4.2 [message #892622 is a reply to message #892527] Thu, 28 June 2012 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marcelo Paternostro is currently offline Marcelo PaternostroFriend
Thank you Paul. It was really unfortunate that I only noticed this so late in the cycle.

Cheers,
Marcelo
icon5.gif  Re: ISharedImages.IMG_DEC_FIELD_* not registered in 4.2 [message #1011482 is a reply to message #892527] Tue, 19 February 2013 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Craig Foote is currently offline Craig FooteFriend
We have a different problem. We're getting null descriptor back for the "IMG_OBJ_PROJECT" key. I'm pretty certain I'm missing something in my target platform that initializes ISharedImages but I don't know what it might be. Any ideas?

Craig
Re: ISharedImages.IMG_DEC_FIELD_* not registered in 4.2 [message #1011516 is a reply to message #1011482] Tue, 19 February 2013 17:29 Go to previous message
Craig Foote is currently offline Craig FooteFriend
Found solution (sort of) at http://francisu.wordpress.com/2008/05/27/magic-required-to-use-the-common-navigator-in-an-rcp-application/

Now we have the icons but have two other problems:

1. WorkbenchAdvisor#getDefaultPageInput overridden as page suggests but never gets called. Workaround is for our CNE's ContentProvider#getElements to make same call.
  2. CNF view initially renders empty. We have to use the configure dialog to hide then show the CNE to have the projects appear visually.

Still looking for help,
Craig
Previous Topic:Comprehensive E4 Application example
Next Topic:Can a Fragment extend a Fragment?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:19:16 GMT 2024