Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » "Project Build command" vs "Make target Build command"
"Project Build command" vs "Make target Build command" [message #882595] Wed, 06 June 2012 20:09 Go to next message
Chris Stankevitz is currently offline Chris StankevitzFriend
Hello,

I'm using Eclipse Inidigo on linux with a project created by cmake. I have one "project" and approximately 50 "make targets".

I can right-click the "project" and select Properties | C++ Make Project | Make Builder. In there is a text box with a "Build command" which is set to "/usr/bin/gmake"

I can right-click each "make target" and select Edit. In there is a text box "build command" which is set to "/usr/bin/gmake -j4"

(See attached)

Q1: What is the difference between a "project build command" and a "make target build command"?

Q2: When is the "project build command" executed and when is the "make target build command" executed?

Q3: Which is executed if I "Build Project" aka CTRL-b

Q4: Which is executed if I "Build all"

Q5: I should probably append "-j4" to my "project build command" [this isn't much of a question, but I like the Qn format].

Thank you,

Chris

[Updated on: Wed, 06 June 2012 22:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: "Project Build command" vs "Make target Build command" [message #884955 is a reply to message #882595] Tue, 12 June 2012 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Quote:
Q1: What is the difference between a "project build command" and a "make target build command"?

Project build command will call the command that you have specified as "Build command" in Project Properties->C/C++ Build
(default is "make all")

Quote:
Q2: When is the "project build command" executed and when is the "make target build command" executed?

"project build command" is executed when you select Build Project or press Ctrl-B. Make targets are available from the context menu in the Project Explorer or you can use the Make Target View (I prefer this one when you have a lot of make targets).

Quote:
Q3: Which is executed if I "Build Project" aka CTRL-b

see Q3. "project build command" is executed

Quote:
Q4: Which is executed if I "Build all"

This will call the "project build command" of every project in our workspace.

Quote:
Q5: I should probably append "-j4" to my "project build command" [this isn't much of a question, but I like the Qn format].

I would advise so.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: "Project Build command" vs "Make target Build command" [message #885940 is a reply to message #884955] Wed, 13 June 2012 22:42 Go to previous message
Chris Stankevitz is currently offline Chris StankevitzFriend
Axel,

Thank you for your reply.

FYI, the cmake eclipse generator recently fixed a bug I reported with respect to generating a "project build comment" with an argument. Specifically the argument -jN to build in parallel.

http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=13287

Thanks again,

Chris
Previous Topic:SDL Libraries
Next Topic:How to add -lrt to CodAn?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:55:22 GMT 2024