Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » "site.xml" in update site URL
icon5.gif  "site.xml" in update site URL [message #882351] Wed, 06 June 2012 09:38
Massimo Rabbi is currently offline Massimo RabbiFriend
Hi all.
Recently in our project we faced a problem dealing with update sites URLs.
Our update site has a custom content.xml (inside content.jar) that has references to external repositories containing additional features we require for our plugin to work.

Testing a clean installation from a fresh new java-indigo eclipse package using the update site hxxp://projecturl/updates/ everything worked fine. However when trying a slightly different url like hxxp://projecturl/updates/site.xml the user is not able to proceed.
The "dirty trick" is to go back, open "Availables software sites" and enable the two additional sites (the ones listed in the context.xml). Now trying to proceed the installation procedure works fine.

Is there any reason to this behavior?
As far as I know (not much about p2 and update mechanism) p2 should cycle in the repository location looking for contributed metadata (content.jar, artifact.jar, site.xml etc). So my guess is that using the URL with the site.xml is not right. But this lead me to another question, if this is true why/how it "correctly" fetches the external additional repositories that are listed in the modified content.xml (inside content.jar)?

Thanks in avance,
Massimo.
Previous Topic:Usage of dropins in RCP fails after renaming installation location
Next Topic:Meaning of -shared location in org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 09:25:16 GMT 2024