Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Recommended Git Repository layout for multi-project workspace?
icon5.gif  Recommended Git Repository layout for multi-project workspace? [message #870908] Thu, 10 May 2012 08:48 Go to next message
Guido Scalise is currently offline Guido ScaliseFriend
I'm starting working in a multi-plugin, multi-product (client/server) RCP+Jetty project, with the intention of reusing some of the plugins/OSGi bundles in client and server, and I have some doubts regarding the ideal repository layout.

I mean... I know that when checking out a branch of a project, all the projects in the repository are switched to the branch as well, so having all of the plugins in a single repository might not be a good idea at all.

The second solution would be creating a repository for each plugin, which I assume would be a nightmare as well.

The third solution (and maybe the most adequate) would be to have a group of plugins (features maybe?) per repository, but I'd like to know your experience before deciding something based only on my maybe-not-that-common sense.

So... What would be, for you, the ideal/recommended repository=>plugin layout? Could sub modules be my silver bullet?

Cheers,
Guido

[Updated on: Thu, 10 May 2012 08:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Recommended Git Repository layout for multi-project workspace? [message #871005 is a reply to message #870908] Thu, 10 May 2012 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthew Webber is currently offline Matthew WebberFriend
We have multiple repositories, with each repository containing multiple Eclipse projects (features, plugins, etc). We try and group projects so that "related" ones (for some definition of related) are in the same repository - that often corresponds to a feature project and its plugins - your third solution.

We don't use submodules (I think EGit only got support for them recently).

When deciding what set of feature/plugins/etc belong together in a repository, think about what gets released together. For us, making a release means making a (specially named) branch, so all the components that will always get released together go in the same repo.

We use Buckminster so that developers don't need to know which repository holds a given component.
Re: Recommended Git Repository layout for multi-project workspace? [message #875338 is a reply to message #871005] Tue, 22 May 2012 14:48 Go to previous message
Ondrej Medek is currently offline Ondrej MedekFriend
Just adding: Maybe you can use Maven (Gradle) instead of Buckminster. Have one project/repository with Maven configuration, which ties plugins together.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 May 2012 14:48]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:How to bring back a project from local repository to workspace
Next Topic:Can't commit and sometimes not add, but works on the CLI
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:24:46 GMT 2024