Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Git/EGit with ~central VCS setup?
Git/EGit with ~central VCS setup? [message #840175] Mon, 09 April 2012 19:09
Ben Riddell is currently offline Ben RiddellFriend
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a Git repo to work with what seems to be a non-standard configuration.

It's a WordPress site with Dev, Staging, and Production environments. We're doing quite a bit of rapid development, and I wanted to avoid installing and maintaining a full working WordPress site, with up-to-date configurations and data, for each developer. There are also plenty of files, WP core and binary files, that should not be stuck in the repo for various reasons.

So I wanted the Dev environment to be the sandbox, so files would be edited locally, then SFTPed up to Dev. When working there, they would be commited to the repo, then checked out (pushed or pulled) to Staging. After more review on Staging, they would be Tagged as ready-for-primetime, and then pushed or pulled (by a restricted user group) to Production.

My head may be stuck in the SubVersion idiom, but this makes sense to me. My problem now is getting a GUI interface for the coders that can accept a the remote checkout (Dev) as "home". And then connect to another remote "home" (Staging) to pull the commits in.

Finally, a way to set a GUI driven connection from Production to pull the files there.

Any pointers on how to deal with this? Right now I'm also dealing with the team split between different applications for file editing/management - Eclipse with Egit, Source Tree, and another text editor with a Git plugin.

Thanks!

-Ben

Previous Topic:Selecting entries in Git Repositories view doesn't set egit variables
Next Topic:Can't find the Stash commands
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:02:16 GMT 2024