Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » osgi.bunldes and config.ini
osgi.bunldes and config.ini [message #105576] Fri, 29 February 2008 02:10 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: irbull.cs.uvic.ca

There was a question posted earlier about the difficulties working with
osgi.bundles in the config.ini file. While the author was talking about
the problems of dealing with 50 or more bundles on one line, I think
even 10-15 bundles can be a problem.

There is great tooling in the launch pages for selecting the bundles
(and all their required ones), setting the start levels and auto-run
properties, but when it comes to actually launching a product we are
back to config files and the typos, lack of tool support, etc...


I am pretty new to OSGi and all my apps only have a handful of bundles,
but I still find this frustrating (maybe I'm just spoiled by Eclipse).
Does anyone else have problems creating products from OSGi or am I alone
here? Maybe there are some tricks for creating an manging config files
that others can share?

Cheers,
Ian
Re: osgi.bunldes and config.ini [message #105633 is a reply to message #105576] Fri, 29 February 2008 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dennis O'Flynn is currently offline Dennis O'FlynnFriend
Messages: 73
Registered: July 2009
Member
BTW...

It is possible to split the definition of "osgi.bundle" over multiple lines.
This may help make it a little easier to manage it manaully.

Example:
osgi.bundles=\
org.eclipse.equinox.common@2:start, \
org.eclipse.update.configurator@3:start, \
org.eclipse.core.runtime@start, \
org.eclipse.equinox.http@3:start, \
org.eclipse.equinox.http.registry@start

"Ian Bull" <irbull@cs.uvic.ca> wrote in message
news:fq7pi5$uco$1@build.eclipse.org...
> There was a question posted earlier about the difficulties working with
> osgi.bundles in the config.ini file. While the author was talking about
> the problems of dealing with 50 or more bundles on one line, I think even
> 10-15 bundles can be a problem.
>
> There is great tooling in the launch pages for selecting the bundles (and
> all their required ones), setting the start levels and auto-run
> properties, but when it comes to actually launching a product we are back
> to config files and the typos, lack of tool support, etc...
>
>
> I am pretty new to OSGi and all my apps only have a handful of bundles,
> but I still find this frustrating (maybe I'm just spoiled by Eclipse).
> Does anyone else have problems creating products from OSGi or am I alone
> here? Maybe there are some tricks for creating an manging config files
> that others can share?
>
> Cheers,
> Ian
Re: osgi.bunldes and config.ini [message #105674 is a reply to message #105633] Fri, 29 February 2008 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: irbull.cs.uvic.ca

Thanks Dennis,

I currently do this and it works fine. I am talking more about the
*great* tool support we have when we go to launch as OSGi, select the 1
bundle you need, hit "add required" and launch. It took me less than 5
minutes to create and launch an OSGi app.

Then I went to create a product and deploy it, and it took me hours. In
the end it was my fault, but I missed a bundle in the list, misspelled
another one, forgot noExit option, forgot to add start, etc...

I was wondering if we should consider better tool support for these
files? Something like what the PDE has for launch as OSGi.

cheers,
ian


Dennis O'Flynn wrote:
> BTW...
>
> It is possible to split the definition of "osgi.bundle" over multiple lines.
> This may help make it a little easier to manage it manaully.
>
> Example:
> osgi.bundles=\
> org.eclipse.equinox.common@2:start, \
> org.eclipse.update.configurator@3:start, \
> org.eclipse.core.runtime@start, \
> org.eclipse.equinox.http@3:start, \
> org.eclipse.equinox.http.registry@start
>
> "Ian Bull" <irbull@cs.uvic.ca> wrote in message
> news:fq7pi5$uco$1@build.eclipse.org...
>> There was a question posted earlier about the difficulties working with
>> osgi.bundles in the config.ini file. While the author was talking about
>> the problems of dealing with 50 or more bundles on one line, I think even
>> 10-15 bundles can be a problem.
>>
>> There is great tooling in the launch pages for selecting the bundles (and
>> all their required ones), setting the start levels and auto-run
>> properties, but when it comes to actually launching a product we are back
>> to config files and the typos, lack of tool support, etc...
>>
>>
>> I am pretty new to OSGi and all my apps only have a handful of bundles,
>> but I still find this frustrating (maybe I'm just spoiled by Eclipse).
>> Does anyone else have problems creating products from OSGi or am I alone
>> here? Maybe there are some tricks for creating an manging config files
>> that others can share?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ian
>
>
Re: osgi.bunldes and config.ini [message #105684 is a reply to message #105674] Fri, 29 February 2008 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: irbull.cs.uvic.ca

I gave a little more thought to this, and here is what I had in mind:

In the product config editor, we add another tab for the config.ini
file. This tab would include a checkbox tree, listing all the bundles
that were selected for this product. The checkbox tree would basically
be the same as the one on the OSGi launch page, that is, you could
select a bundle, set a start level and auto-run.

By default all the bundles would be selected.

There could also be a property view that would allow you to set other
properties (such as noShutdown, ignoreApp, etc...). If these could be
enumerated, then they could all be listed, otherwise we would support an
add property button.

Also, we could set default based on what is already selected. For
example, if no application is specified, then the we would add the
ignoreApp by default.

I realize this is not an equniox issue and something that will have to
be solved at the PDE UI level, but I want to get some feedback from the
equniox community before I open a feature request and spend the time
mapping out the feasibility of this.

cheers,
ian


Ian Bull wrote:
> Thanks Dennis,
>
> I currently do this and it works fine. I am talking more about the
> *great* tool support we have when we go to launch as OSGi, select the 1
> bundle you need, hit "add required" and launch. It took me less than 5
> minutes to create and launch an OSGi app.
>
> Then I went to create a product and deploy it, and it took me hours. In
> the end it was my fault, but I missed a bundle in the list, misspelled
> another one, forgot noExit option, forgot to add start, etc...
>
> I was wondering if we should consider better tool support for these
> files? Something like what the PDE has for launch as OSGi.
>
> cheers,
> ian
>
>
> Dennis O'Flynn wrote:
>> BTW...
>>
>> It is possible to split the definition of "osgi.bundle" over multiple
>> lines. This may help make it a little easier to manage it manaully.
>>
>> Example:
>> osgi.bundles=\
>> org.eclipse.equinox.common@2:start, \
>> org.eclipse.update.configurator@3:start, \
>> org.eclipse.core.runtime@start, \
>> org.eclipse.equinox.http@3:start, \
>> org.eclipse.equinox.http.registry@start
>>
>> "Ian Bull" <irbull@cs.uvic.ca> wrote in message
>> news:fq7pi5$uco$1@build.eclipse.org...
>>> There was a question posted earlier about the difficulties working
>>> with osgi.bundles in the config.ini file. While the author was
>>> talking about the problems of dealing with 50 or more bundles on one
>>> line, I think even 10-15 bundles can be a problem.
>>>
>>> There is great tooling in the launch pages for selecting the bundles
>>> (and all their required ones), setting the start levels and auto-run
>>> properties, but when it comes to actually launching a product we are
>>> back to config files and the typos, lack of tool support, etc...
>>>
>>>
>>> I am pretty new to OSGi and all my apps only have a handful of
>>> bundles, but I still find this frustrating (maybe I'm just spoiled by
>>> Eclipse). Does anyone else have problems creating products from OSGi
>>> or am I alone here? Maybe there are some tricks for creating an
>>> manging config files that others can share?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ian
>>
>>
Re: osgi.bunldes and config.ini [message #105710 is a reply to message #105684] Sat, 01 March 2008 13:28 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: jeff.code9.com

Ian, these are all great ideas. Anything to make it easier for people
to put together Equinox based application has got to be a good thing.
I've been running into the same issues. My case seems similar/the same.
I want to use the "Eclipse" notion of product to capture the overall
application notions but do not necessarily launch a "product". managing
the list of bundles, the config.ini values, etc is quite a chore.

Using the launcher config dialog to get an initial setup is cool and
then you can create a new product definition from the launch config.
That gives you a starting point but from there the two (launch config
and product) are not synchronized so the useful features in the launch
config are not available to product designers.

There was a lot of discussion when all this was put together and reasons
for it being so. I don't recall any of the relevant points however.

One other thing to note is that p2 will play a role here as in effect
designing a product or launch config is a designing/authoring a
provisioning operation.

Just some thoughts
Jeff


Ian Bull wrote:
> I gave a little more thought to this, and here is what I had in mind:
>
> In the product config editor, we add another tab for the config.ini
> file. This tab would include a checkbox tree, listing all the bundles
> that were selected for this product. The checkbox tree would basically
> be the same as the one on the OSGi launch page, that is, you could
> select a bundle, set a start level and auto-run.
>
> By default all the bundles would be selected.
>
> There could also be a property view that would allow you to set other
> properties (such as noShutdown, ignoreApp, etc...). If these could be
> enumerated, then they could all be listed, otherwise we would support an
> add property button.
>
> Also, we could set default based on what is already selected. For
> example, if no application is specified, then the we would add the
> ignoreApp by default.
>
> I realize this is not an equniox issue and something that will have to
> be solved at the PDE UI level, but I want to get some feedback from the
> equniox community before I open a feature request and spend the time
> mapping out the feasibility of this.
Previous Topic:OSGI traces in exported RCP products
Next Topic:console persistency
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Oct 28 03:03:32 GMT 2021

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02544 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top