Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Context Path issue with WAB
Context Path issue with WAB [message #832544] Fri, 30 March 2012 09:07 Go to next message
Obiwan Kenobi is currently offline Obiwan KenobiFriend
Hi All,

We are running our application in Virgo 3.0.1.We have a Web application bundle with context path /xxx . Our main motto is not to have any outage at all.When I tried
upgrading the version of my Web bundle and deploy in virgo,I get an error Saying a web application with context already exists.

Caused by: org.eclipse.gemini.web.core.spi.ContextPathExistsException:
Context path '/xxx' already exists
at
org.eclipse.gemini.web.tomcat.internal.TomcatServletContainer.checkContextPathIsFree(TomcatServletContainer.java:204)
at
org.eclipse.gemini.web.tomcat.internal.TomcatServletContainer.startWebApplication(TomcatServletContainer.java:116)
at
org.eclipse.gemini.web.internal.StandardWebApplication.start(StandardWebApplication.java:90)

How can I overcome this error and upgrade my bundle without loosing any
exising requests/activity in my older web bundle.

TO be very specific I want the following to happen

1.) WAB X 1.0 is installed and running with context /xxx
2.) update WAB X to 1.1
3.) active requests in the pipeline still use old version
4.) new requests use the new version

Is there any configuration that I need to enable to achive this,because I am not able to install my new web bundle which mean I need to stop or unintall my old version bundle and then install a newer versioned one,this basically will cause some outage window to my application which I do not prefer and it beats the who purpose of using OSGi.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Regards
Re: Context Path issue with WAB [message #832614 is a reply to message #832544] Fri, 30 March 2012 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Refreshing the web bundle should cause it to stop and be unregistered as a web application and then immediately started again and re-registered as a web application. So how precisely are you "upgrading the version" of your web bundle?

Note that there is bound to be a small window of unavailability of the web app when refreshing a web bundle. Note also that active requests which have already been dispatched to the web app may not reliably succeed in every situation as that's not something we've tested.

To guarantee constant availability I think you'll need to cluster two or more Virgo Tomcat Server instances and then perform a "rolling upgrade".
Re: Context Path issue with WAB [message #834112 is a reply to message #832614] Sun, 01 April 2012 12:25 Go to previous message
Obiwan Kenobi is currently offline Obiwan KenobiFriend
Thanks Glyn for your reply.

I have also thought of another approach of having the Web Bundles only to define the context path and remove all the spring controllers to another normal bundle.It did work as I expected.

Regards
Previous Topic:how to change virgo tomcat server character encoding
Next Topic:Replacing OSGI bundles in the running environment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 01:55:27 GMT 2024