Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Specify location of .eclipse directory
Specify location of .eclipse directory [message #825964] Wed, 21 March 2012 13:30 Go to next message
Rebecka Öfverholm is currently offline Rebecka ÖfverholmFriend
Hi,

I'm wondering if there is any way to specify the location of the .eclipse directory that is created in a user's home directory when they run Eclipse. I'm aware of the -configuration option which sets the osgi.configuration.area property, but that causes the plugins, p2 and features directories and the artifacts.xml file (that are usually put in the .eclipse directory) to end up in the home directory, and that is not what I want. I do not care about the location of the workspace, only the contents of .eclipse.

The reason is that I do not want users to have to rename or delete their .eclipse directories when testing a new Eclipse installation. Alternatively, I can use the -configuration option if there is some way to similarly specify new locations for plugins, p2, features and artifacts.xml.

If anyone knows of a solution, I would be very grateful!
Re: Specify location of .eclipse directory [message #829511 is a reply to message #825964] Mon, 26 March 2012 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rebecka Öfverholm is currently offline Rebecka ÖfverholmFriend
Turns out, the solution was as simple as to use the -configuration option, but to specify at least two directory levels, e.g.: -configuration ~/.myeclipsedirectory/configuration, rather than just -configuration ~/.myeclipsedirectory. The reason is that the p2, plugins and features directories and the artifacts file are put next to the specified configuration directory, which is why they ended up in my home area before. This is perhaps obvious in hindsight, but the documentation could be clearer.
Re: Specify location of .eclipse directory [message #1709031 is a reply to message #829511] Wed, 23 September 2015 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tino Winkler is currently offline Tino WinklerFriend
Works for me too, but not for the "Oomph ..." plugin, provided with Eclipse-mars: this does still use ~/.eclipse Sad
Re: Specify location of .eclipse directory [message #1709102 is a reply to message #1709031] Thu, 24 September 2015 06:03 Go to previous message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Am 23.09.2015 um 14:15 schrieb Tino Winkler:
> Works for me too, but not for the "Oomph ..." plugin, provided with Eclipse-mars: this does still use ~/.eclipse :(
If you think that Oomph should change its behaviour please submit a bugzilla against Tools/Oomph and describe why you
think the current behaviour is wrong and how you think it should be. Then we can discuss it there.

Thanks and

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Previous Topic:Eclipse CSS3 Profiler missing autocompletion
Next Topic:Eclipse for Testers- cant export a jar
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:40:42 GMT 2024