Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » An Eclipse Plugin for GWT code generation(Plugin Project to create code)
An Eclipse Plugin for GWT code generation [message #805876] Fri, 24 February 2012 08:49 Go to next message
sandy e is currently offline sandy eFriend
Hi,

I need to write an eclipse plugin which can generate some java source code for me.

My requirement is the following.

1) When right click on the project explorer, in should give me a new menu, like "GWT"

2) The menu can have sub menus like "Create Stub", etc.

3) Upon clicking the sub menu, a wizard need to be popped up, where in we can enter the package name, class name etc.

4) Upon Clicking finish of the wizard I need to genereate the java source code.

Can some tell me how I can acheive this or atleast point me to some good tutorials which can help me out.

I googled it but I am not able to get a perfect tutorial.

Thanks,
Sandy
Re: An Eclipse Plugin for GWT code generation [message #807971 is a reply to message #805876] Mon, 27 February 2012 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Albert Hofkamp is currently offline Albert HofkampFriend
Dear Sandy,

As you have discovered, there is no tutorial that describes exactly which button to click,for every problem that someone might have.
If we had that, we could probably stop programming ourselves alltogether.

In the same way, programming is more complicated than "google, copy/paste first hit, done".

Consider each point that you have as a separate problem, and try to solve it.
Then glue the code of each part together into one program.

I am quite sure your google journey gave you some starting points from which you can start.
Try the example, read the code until you fully understand why it works the way it does, and in particular, read the documentation of the classes that you use to see whether other useful methods exist.
Re: An Eclipse Plugin for GWT code generation [message #814433 is a reply to message #807971] Tue, 06 March 2012 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Albert,

First of all thanks for replying to me. What I need to know is where can I get a good guide which explains how to write a plugin of the sort of my requirement. You can leave the programming part to me. I dont want anyone to bother too much about the programming part. Bcoz I have been doing it for years now. I am new to eclipse platform and web side of the computer world. I googled a lot, I got some tutorials, using which I was able to create a view plugin which does some part of my work. Code generation I will use either jet template or velocity.

My point of concern is how to create a plugin which can be shown when I right click on the package explorer of eclipse. If you know it, please post it here. I dont want to see any generic comments, like you can google it Smile that any body can suggest. If someone post something into forum, I beleive, bare minimum he/she would/should have done some basic study.

Regards,
Sandy
Re: An Eclipse Plugin for GWT code generation [message #814488 is a reply to message #814433] Tue, 06 March 2012 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Harutyun Arzumanian is currently offline Harutyun ArzumanianFriend
Hello Sandy, all these can be done, don't worry (I did a program that does all these).
To put you on the right track read the following posts:
1.Unleashing-the-Power-of-Refactoring
2.msg_245682
3.is-there-any-eclipse-refactoring-api-that-i-can-call-programmatically

[Updated on: Thu, 08 March 2012 12:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: An Eclipse Plugin for GWT code generation [message #816002 is a reply to message #814488] Thu, 08 March 2012 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you so much Harutyun....
I will go through the posts. Once I complete it probably I will post the step by step details here... No one else should go through this pain again Smile
Re: An Eclipse Plugin for GWT code generation [message #816040 is a reply to message #816002] Thu, 08 March 2012 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Albert Hofkamp is currently offline Albert HofkampFriend
I just had to make an extension to the menu as well.
The eclipse term for these things is 'popupMenus', and they are also called 'contextMenus'.
One site I find very useful is http@:/@/www.vogella.de/tutorials.html (remove the @ to get a real url) which has several articles about extending eclipse with your own applications.
Re: An Eclipse Plugin for GWT code generation [message #816096 is a reply to message #816002] Thu, 08 March 2012 12:21 Go to previous message
Harutyun Arzumanian is currently offline Harutyun ArzumanianFriend
Hello Sandy, I am just going to add some more links, be ready to receive Wink

1.Unleashing-the-Power-of-Refactoring
2.msg_245682
3.is-there-any-eclipse-refactoring-api-that-i-can-call-programmatically
Previous Topic:Can I hide a row in my JTable ?
Next Topic:Internal compiler produces an error.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 22:07:17 GMT 2024