Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Cannot Start Eclipse
Cannot Start Eclipse [message #805465] Thu, 23 February 2012 20:04 Go to next message
Steve Missing name is currently offline Steve Missing nameFriend
I am using Eclipse 3.3. I've been using it for a couple of years now. I went into a workspace dozens (hundreds) of time, and a few times today. Now, all of a sudden, the workspace will not load. It looks like it's going to, then it does not load. The error in the Eclipse log is:

!ENTRY com.google.gwt.eclipse.core 4 0 2012-02-23 14:57:25.507
!MESSAGE Could not start source viewer server.
!STACK 0
org.mortbay.util.MultiException[java.net.SocketException: Unrecognized Windows Sockets error: 0: JVM_Bind]
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpServer.doStart(HttpServer.java:686)
	at org.mortbay.util.Container.start(Container.java:72)
	at com.google.gdt.eclipse.platform.jetty.JettyServer.start(JettyServer.java:73)
	at com.google.gwt.eclipse.core.GWTPlugin.start(GWTPlugin.java:116)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl$2.run(BundleContextImpl.java:999)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:993)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleContextImpl.java:974)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(BundleHost.java:346)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.start(AbstractBundle.java:260)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.util.SecureAction.start(SecureAction.java:400)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseLazyStarter.postFindLocalClass(EclipseLazyStarter.java:111)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(ClasspathManager.java:417)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.findLocalClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:189)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findLocalClass(BundleLoader.java:340)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.SingleSourcePackage.loadClass(SingleSourcePackage.java:37)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:405)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:369)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:357)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:83)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
	at com.google.gdt.eclipse.suite.GdtPlugin.start(GdtPlugin.java:394)

I am completely stumped. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Re: Cannot Start Eclipse [message #805646 is a reply to message #805465] Fri, 24 February 2012 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian de Alwis is currently offline Brian de AlwisFriend
That looks to be unrelated. Try using jstack to overt a stack trace.
Re: Cannot Start Eclipse [message #806024 is a reply to message #805646] Fri, 24 February 2012 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Skorsky is currently offline Martin SkorskyFriend
Does the JVM crash? Then there is a hs_err_pid*.log file in the working dir, usually the Eclipse installation folder.
How do you see, that 'it does not load'?
Re: Cannot Start Eclipse [message #806029 is a reply to message #806024] Fri, 24 February 2012 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No JVM crashes. This log is in the Workspace folder. Other workspaces are fine. When I say it won't start, the Splash screen comes up, it displays all the "Loading..." messages, but then the splash screen goes away and Eclipse does not start.

I'm sure it's something with the workspace (since other workspaces open fine). I did find another message in the log this morning:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2012-02-24 08:13:38.997
!MESSAGE Plugin com.google.gwt.eclipse.core, extension org.eclipse.ui.editors
Required attribute 'icon' not defined

I wonder if it's having trouble displaying currently open files? Do you know where the "current open files" is located?

[Updated on: Fri, 24 February 2012 13:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Cannot Start Eclipse [message #806092 is a reply to message #806029] Fri, 24 February 2012 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Skorsky is currently offline Martin SkorskyFriend
Sometimes (on 'heavy' crashes) there is a log in the configuration folder of Eclipse. Name: <current time in milliseconds>.log.

Is the timestamp of the !ENTRY related to the time the crash happens?

I don't know where the "current open files" is located.
Re: Cannot Start Eclipse [message #807047 is a reply to message #806092] Sat, 25 February 2012 23:05 Go to previous message
Thanks for everybody's assistance! I have resolved the issue, so here's what I did:

I found the location of the current open files. It is in the [workspace folder\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.ui.workbench folder in a file called workbench.xml. There is a tag called <editors>. Within this element is a series of <editor> elements that list all the currently open files (and information on what editor to use on these files). I removed all of these tags and relaunched Eclipse and it opened with a blank workbench. So my suspicion was correct, it was having troubles opening one of the files. It was confusing because it never threw an Eclipse log at all, so it was tough to debug.

Thanks for everyone's help; maybe this piece of info I've found will help someone else in the future!

[Updated on: Sat, 25 February 2012 23:07]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Disable Ant Syntax coloring in favor of standard XML file sytax coloring?
Next Topic:How to save "Insert Spaces for Tabs" preferences
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:53:05 GMT 2024