Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Projects lose standard build-in include folders causing indexer problem
Projects lose standard build-in include folders causing indexer problem [message #800367] Fri, 17 February 2012 01:30 Go to next message
guy bonneau is currently offline guy bonneauFriend
I have a complex CDT setup that uses over 20 projects to compile a few shared libraries. For some unknown reason as I add new projects one by one to Eclipse the old projects begin to lose the standard gcc and linux build-in include path as displayed in the C++ Projects window. I have observed that the moment I lose those paths the indexer begin to lose capability to find symbols and resource. At this point it is almost impossible to have a nice experience of the Eclipse IDE since the Indexer cannot resolve symbols. This seems to be clearly an issue and I would like to know if it has been reported.

I have attached 2 pictures of the same project that show different include path report as I add projects. Note that I am using the Intel C++ eclipse plugin. But I have tried to setup the projects with the GNU C++ compiler and experienced the same issue.

Note : I am using Eclipse Indigo with the latest update

Thanks
Guy Bonneau

[Updated on: Sat, 18 February 2012 16:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Projects lose standard build-in include folders causing indexer problem [message #800791 is a reply to message #800367] Fri, 17 February 2012 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found more information about this issue.

The problem happens only when Java projects are mixed with CDT projects inside the same workspace. When Java projects are mixed with CDT inside the same workspace and I add CDT projects eventually CDT projects seems to lose the standard include paths as shown in the attached picture. At this point the indexer seems to become confused and goes haywire displaying erratic and strange behaviour. Mostly the indexer doesn't seems to find the C++ symbols.

When I import the same projects to another workspace with no Java project inside the same project everything works beautifully. The indexer is then solid and is not erratic.

This is really weird.

Can anyone confirm is a bug is entered and matches this behaviour.

Thanks
Guy Bonneau

[Updated on: Sat, 18 February 2012 16:03]

Re: Projects lose standard build-in include folders causing indexer problem [message #800810 is a reply to message #800791] Fri, 17 February 2012 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well after all after working a while with the workspace containing only the CDT projects I also experienced the problem. I lose the standard include file and the indexer begin erratic behaviour because standard include files are not found.

I tried with both Helios and Indigo. I have the same issue.

Anyone experienced this issue. Any know workaround?

Thanks
Guy Bonneau

[Updated on: Sat, 18 February 2012 16:03]

Re: Projects lose standard include file [message #800937 is a reply to message #800810] Fri, 17 February 2012 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yevgeny Shifrin is currently offline Yevgeny ShifrinFriend
Maybe it is related to Discovery functionality. You could try to change "Discovery Options" configuration under Project Properties in C/C++ Build. There is "Automate discovery of path and symbols" (per language C, C++). You can uncheck this and see if it helps.
Re: Projects lose standard build-in include folders causing indexer problem [message #801527 is a reply to message #800937] Sat, 18 February 2012 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well a tried to uncheck "Automate discovery of path and symbols" like you suggested and this didn't help. Now here is an interesting discovery. Once the missing "standard" Linux GNU include file disappears (I haven't found why this happens and cannot point what cause this yet and at what moment) and the indexer database is rebuild for a project missing the standard include files because a file was modified then the indexer complains there is a lot of unresolved inclusions for this project. Then there is also a lot of unresolved names as an indirect consequence.

Now once I lose the standard include files I found a way to recover them. Here is what I do. I open the "Discovery Options" configuration dialog under Project Properties in C/C++ Build. There is a clear button associated to "Clear discovered entries now". I press the clear button for both compiler option GCC C++ and GCC C. Then I do Apply/OK and I am back to the main IDE. At this point the standard include files are not recovered yet if I expand the includes icon in the C/C++ Project tab. I then select the project I have cleared the discovered entries and select to build the project. After the building expanding the includes icon shows the standard include files being back. At this point I select the project again and proceed to rebuild the index DataBase using Index->Rebuild. At this point there is 0 unresolved inclusions. Also names that were unresolved are now resolved by the indexer. I am back with a great Eclipse IDE experience.

The workaround is not bad with only one project. But with a workspace with a lot of projects the procedure is absolutely insane (this being my case). This is clearly a bug. Can one of the indexer code maintainer comment? I cannot believe this is per design. Since I can reproduce the issue with both Helios and Indigo it must be there since a while. Is there a bug opened for this problem?

[Updated on: Sat, 18 February 2012 16:04]

Re: Projects lose standard build-in include folders causing indexer problem [message #801564 is a reply to message #801527] Sat, 18 February 2012 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have more discoveries for this issue. After I have recovered the standard file I exit from Eclipse. Then I restart Eclipse and open the same workspace again. All the standard include folders have disappeared again. Now if I open the Project Properties in C/C++ General and choose the section Paths and Symbols. I select the includes tab to display the Include Directories. There is a check-in box with Show build-in values. It is checked to show the build-in standard include folders. What is interesting is that the standard build-in values include folders are missing there also. If I recover the standard include folders with my previous post procedure and go back to the Project Properties in C/C++ General -> Paths and Symbols the standard include folders are nonetheless missing and are not back there. They are still missing. So this might be related to the issue.

[Updated on: Sat, 18 February 2012 16:04]

Re: Projects lose standard build-in include folders causing indexer problem [message #801640 is a reply to message #801564] Sat, 18 February 2012 18:36 Go to previous message
After further investigation I haven't been able to reproduce this problem with the standard GNU CDT plugin. However I was able to reproduce the issue consistently with the Intel CDT Plugin. I will contact Intel. Thanks everyone for listen.
Previous Topic:Eclipse IDE for C/C++ and Mac OS 10.7 Lion: "Launch Failed. Binaries not found."
Next Topic:External global variables parsing problem in C project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 13:30:16 GMT 2024