Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Downloading Eclipse (Password protected?)(Help please :O)
icon5.gif  Downloading Eclipse (Password protected?) [message #795591] Fri, 10 February 2012 16:47 Go to next message
Hunter Nance is currently offline Hunter NanceFriend
Hello,

Up until now, I've always used Netbeans whenever I want to program in Java. However, I heard about the benefits of Eclipse, and specifically I heard about the plug-in for Android development which sounds extremely useful.

However, whenever I try to un-zip it, it always says that many of the files are password protected. I cannot find the password anywhere, and googling didn't help at all... Eclipse is freeware, right?

Thanks.
Re: Downloading Eclipse (Password protected?) [message #795680 is a reply to message #795591] Fri, 10 February 2012 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

No, it's Open Source. Freeware is something else.

Use a third party unzipping tool instead of using Windows' built in zip extraction feature. It is known to exhibit this problem. I prefer the InfoZip unzip application that is provided by Cygwin.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Downloading Eclipse (Password protected?) [message #796960 is a reply to message #795591] Sun, 12 February 2012 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hunter Nance is currently offline Hunter NanceFriend
I tried using WinRaR as well (and on another computer, no less), but it still came up with an "access denied" error for every single file.

Any suggestions as to where I can go to download it without having this trouble? :/
Re: Downloading Eclipse (Password protected?) [message #797912 is a reply to message #796960] Tue, 14 February 2012 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
On 02/12/2012 03:59 PM, Hunter Nance wrote:
> I tried using WinRaR as well (and on another computer, no less), but it
> still came up with an "access denied" error for every single file.
>
> Any suggestions as to where I can go to download it without having this
> trouble? :/
Download from eclipse.org. None of the files there are password protected.

Are you sure that the access denied is for the archive and not for the
location where you are trying to extract to? Windows 7 places some
restrictions on locations such as Program Files.
Re: Downloading Eclipse (Password protected?) [message #817460 is a reply to message #797912] Sat, 10 March 2012 05:00 Go to previous message
Andy E is currently offline Andy EFriend
Might even be due to a CORRUPT archive. The WinRAR message that goes like "Error: password protected?" is actually a somewhat shortened rendition of the full-length message "...might be corrupt or password protected" appearing in RAR (command-line). Easy verifiable also on Linux with the official 'rar' statically-linked binary when trying to unpack incomplete (hence not contiguous) zip/rar archives.
So what I'd recommend to do is re-download the whole caboodle and try again.

[Updated on: Sat, 10 March 2012 05:02]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Plug-In Development not found
Next Topic:Cannot unzip the Eclipse for Java EE on Windows 7
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:17:06 GMT 2024