Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » Zest 2 dependencies and slow startup(Performance issue)
Zest 2 dependencies and slow startup [message #786210] Mon, 30 January 2012 05:44 Go to next message
Jörn Guy Süß is currently offline Jörn Guy SüßFriend

I am trying to use the new Dot Integration for Zest http://wiki.eclipse.org/Graphviz_DOT_as_a_DSL_for_Zest.
I have built a simplemost view (attached). I have installed the integration build for Zest 2 into an otherwise unchanged eclipse classic 3.7.1 on windows.

When I start up the plugin inside eclipse, the startup procedes very quickly and then stalls at the very end for almosta minute(!). I have experimented in another eclipse instance that I use for development which include a logger. Here, the startup is even slower and produces a message from MWE (model workflow engine) that it is registering the parent to the eclipse installation folder as a URI. This is followed by a lot of disk activity.

The slow startup makes the component almost unusable for my purpose. I cannot expose the users to a startup time of over a minute, even if the resulting graphing tool is excellent.

I assume this is a configuration issue, as the dot bridge is compiled and does not require mwe. I have also run an experimient with 'plain' Zest and it is lightning fast.

Help appreciated.

• Attachment: example.zip
    (Size: 6.19KB, Downloaded 271 times)
icon14.gif  Re: Zest 2 dependencies and slow startup [message #789398 is a reply to message #786811] Thu, 02 February 2012 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I have created Bug 370511|https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=370511. The bug shows that the issue is only related to the initialisation of dot4zest, because it is triggered by an invocation to
new DotGraph()
I have not put a timer around that, as the delay depends on the size of your host Eclipse instance. It is a really nasty blocker on such an otherwise excellent component.
Re: Zest 2 dependencies and slow startup [message #789403 is a reply to message #789398] Thu, 02 February 2012 23:55 Go to previous message

Just run a full dependency analysis of the example plugin. The call is not back after ten minutes. There seem to be A LOT of dependencies....
Previous Topic:How to define/set a node as a root
Next Topic:Problems with autoscroll behavior
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:30:21 GMT 2024