Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Weird bundle export problem (manifest being overwritten)
Weird bundle export problem (manifest being overwritten) [message #784479] Fri, 27 January 2012 15:39 Go to next message
Simon Watson is currently offline Simon WatsonFriend
When I try to export an Eclipse RT bundle project, I get the message: "/src/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF was replaced by the generated MANIFEST.MF and is no longer in the JAR.".

This used to work a few weeks ago and I don't understand what's changed. I've updated all the tools to their latest versions and the problem persists.

If I create a new EclipseRT bundle project, it exports fine. What's even stranger is if I copy & paste an existing project, it also exports fine. I've got to the point where I have two simple and seemingly-identical Eclipse projects and, after importing them into my workspace, one exports and one doesn't (giving the error above). I've run diff on the two projects and the only difference is the project name (obviously).

I've read this forum thread (http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/722696/) and read the wiki entry on tooling migration (http://wiki.eclipse.org/Virgo/Tooling#Migration) but it doesn't seem relevant to my situation.

Attached is a zip file of the two example projects - "bundle_good" exports, whilst "bundle_bad" doesn't.

What am I missing?
Re: Weird bundle export problem (manifest being overwritten) [message #784596 is a reply to message #784479] Fri, 27 January 2012 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Hi Simon,

There is already an open bug on this:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=356807

Se also:

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/238154/

We've started in on straightening this stuff out, so hopefully we'll have a good solution soon. Right now, we're mixing two different runtime and build models (PDE and Spring/Bundlor). Basically, we need to rationalize and hopefully simplify what is getting generated and what isn't and give users more control and transparency into that.

thanks for the attachment, it should be helpful.

cheers, and thanks for you patience,

Miles
Re: Weird bundle export problem (manifest being overwritten) [message #784721 is a reply to message #784596] Fri, 27 January 2012 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Miles,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Out of curiosity, what is it that distinguishes the two projects I attached, causing the tooling to export one but not the other? They have the same .project, .classpath, .settings files, and the same /src dir.

Thanks,

Simon.
Re: Weird bundle export problem (manifest being overwritten) [message #784766 is a reply to message #784721] Sat, 28 January 2012 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon Watson wrote on Fri, 27 January 2012 17:56

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Out of curiosity, what is it that distinguishes the two projects I attached, causing the tooling to export one but not the other?

Nothing. Smile Neither will export properly for me. I think it's just the vagaries of the build process. One project got lucky.
Re: Weird bundle export problem (manifest being overwritten) [message #797897 is a reply to message #784766] Tue, 14 February 2012 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think we got this one. Please check out the nightlies when they're ready and reopen the bug if not.

Note that although we've fixed this bug, the manifest error is still going to appear for people when there is something else wrong with their project packaging, for example a bad library. We'll want to look at better error reporting for these kinds of issues. Please raise a bug if that's important to you.
Re: Weird bundle export problem (manifest being overwritten) [message #873567 is a reply to message #797897] Fri, 18 May 2012 14:44 Go to previous message
Thanks, this problem has been resolved for me after upgrading Eclipse Virgo Tools to 1.0.0.201205100036-SNAPSHOT.
Previous Topic:Resolving uses violations
Next Topic:Bundle deployment questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:55:41 GMT 2024