Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Export Deployable Features - Java Web Start Tab(Would like to know why the "Site URL" is required on the Java Web Start tab.)
Export Deployable Features - Java Web Start Tab [message #782906] Tue, 24 January 2012 17:30
Aaron L is currently offline Aaron LFriend
Using Eclipse Helios SR 2, I have an RCP application that I have created a feature project for so that I can deploy/run my application using Java Web Start.

I am able to export my feature project using the "Export Deployable Features" wizard and can get Java Web Start to run fine after manually creating the main JNLP file for my application and then tweaking the feature JNLP file that is created by the export wizard.

The issue I am experiencing (hence the need to tweak the feature JNLP file) is due to the fact that the "codebase" attribute of the <jnlp> tag and other values in my JNLP file will vary depending on where my application is deployed and are those values will not be known until my application is being deployed on site.

I am able to handle this requirement by using a Java servlet and .jsp file to dynamically generate the JNLP files with the appropriate values upon request. However when I initially export my feature through Eclipse, the "Java Web Start" tab requires me to enter a "Site URL".

It appears that this "Site URL" is only used to populate the "codebase" attribute of the JNLP files created by the export wizard. As of Java SE 6 update 10 release, it appears the "codebase" in no longer required and can be implicitly determined instead (See http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jweb/applet/codebase_determination.html).

I would like to be able to export my deployable feature using the export wizard without having to specify a "Site URL".

Does anyone else know why a "Site URL" would still be required?

Previous Topic:How to obtain a progress monitor w/o a Job?
Next Topic:Run some JUnit tests and check coverage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 24 14:15:33 GMT 2024