Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » GMF (Graphical Modeling Framework) » Shortcut drag and drop between two models
Shortcut drag and drop between two models [message #779822] Mon, 16 January 2012 16:16 Go to next message
Laurent Le Moux is currently offline Laurent Le MouxFriend
Hi there,

I meet some troubles with the following case. I created two models. One (device overview) shows a "device" element that "uses" a "component" defined in the second model (component detail).
I have no difficuties (anymore Wink) to launch a single application with both plugins running. So, I can create both "device overview" and "component detail" diagrams.

The problem is that I can't manage to drag and drop a "component" shortcut in my device overview diagram.

I followed several recommendations from this forum without success... Sad.

I added the "component" element in DeviceOverview.gmfgraph to allow its display.

Then I added it in DeviceOverview.gmfmap as a child reference of device.
I generated the corresponding .gmfgen file with the "known" warning
('Containment Feature' must be owned by 'Domain Meta Element' or its super type of this reference parent Node Mapping).

I 'stepped' in the getDropObjectsCommand and made several tries but I have no more ideas and I'm stucked...

Could somebody please have a look to the attached files and may be tell me what to do ?

Regards,

Laurent
Re: Shortcut drag and drop between two models [message #780663 is a reply to message #779822] Wed, 18 January 2012 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Golubev is currently offline Michael GolubevFriend
Hello,

Could you please be more precise, what is the behavior that does not work for you?
I haven't yet looked into your models, but will definitely do, just need more information about where to look at.

Regards,
Michael "Borlander" Golubev
at Montages Think Tank, Prague, Czech Republic
Montages AG, Zürich, Switzerland
Re: Shortcut drag and drop between two models [message #780770 is a reply to message #780663] Thu, 19 January 2012 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael,

Sorry for the lack of details. I was a little bit in a hurry when I wrote the message...
Hereafter the steps I followed :

1. EMF Part

The 'DeviceCore' project contains both models and all files generated with the EMF and GMF tools.
The 'DeviceOverview' model refers to a 'Component' element defined in the 'ComponentDetail' model.
So, when I generate the DeviceOverview.genmodel, I need to select both ecore models.
From this single .genmodel, I then generate all the necessary EMF code for manipulating both models (DeviceCore .edit and .editor projects).

2. ComponentDetail GMF part

ComponentDetail is the referenced model. It doesn't (yet) know about DeviceOverview referencing it. So, I just generated this part with the usual ComponentDetail.genmodel, .gmftool, .gmfgraph, .gmfmap and .gmfgen files.
I just modified ComponentDetail.gmfgen file to generate a ComponentDetail.diagram project instead of a DeviceCore.diagram one.
So, I basically replaced two references to DeviceCore by ComponentDetail in the .gmfgen file :
Gen Editor -> Editor Plug-in Directory = /ComponentDetail.diagram/src
Gen Editor -> Gen Plugin -> ID = ComponentDetail.diagram

3. DeviceOverview GMF part (just for test)

I did the same work to generate a DeviceOverview.diagram project.
At that level, I can run the basic application with all these plugins and generate diagrams for both DeviceOverview and ComponentDetail models.
But both diagrams are handled separately and are only 'linked' by the underlying EMF models. In other terms, at GMF level, they are still independent.

4. The 'Component' shortcut

That's where I'm stucked... Somewhere...

4.1. .gmfgraph adaptation

I copied the Component declaration from the ComponentDetail.gmfgraph to define its graphical representation in the DeviceOverview.gmfgraph as well.

I choose not to declare Component in DeviceOverview.gmftool.

4.2. .gmfmap adaptation

To allow its display in a DeviceOverview diagram, I modified the DeviceOverview.gmfmap file.
I added a Child Reference under the 'Device' Node Mapping. This declaration reflects the ecore model where a 'Device' element may refer to one or more 'Component' elements.
Below the Child Reference, I added a 'Component' Node Mapping.

It's important to note that at Child Reference level the 'Containement feature' is set to a ComponentDetail model element and not to a DeviceOverview one.

4.3. DeviceOverview.gmfgen generation and adaptation

That's where the error occurs...

By generating the DeviceOverview.gmfgen file, I get the following GMF warning / Eclipse error : 'Containment Feature' must be owned by 'Domain Meta Element' or its super type of this reference.

Not knowing what to do, I choose to ignore the warning and modify the generated DeviceOverview.gmfgen file to declare the Component shortcut, following the 'Jevon Drag & Drop Tutorial' I found on the Web.
This means : Gen Editor -> Gen Diagram -> Contains Shortcuts To = componentdetail

I finally generate again the DeviceOverview.diagram plugin.

4.4. ComponentDetail.gmfgen adaptation

I also set the following parameter in ComponentDetail.gmfgen before generating again the ComponentDetail.diagram plugin.

Gen Editor -> Gen Diagram -> Shortcuts Provided For = deviceoverview.diagram.part.DeviceOverviewDiagramEditorID

5. Running the resulting application and running into troubles... Wink

When I finally launch the generated application, I get two problems :

1. I can create a DeviceOverview diagram which works fine as long as I don't create a ComponentDetail one. Then, simply moving "My device" element in the DeviceOverview diagram causes the following execution error :

java.lang.ClassCastException: deviceoverview.impl.DeviceImpl cannot be cast to componentdetail.CDModel

Somehow, it appears that there is collision between both models at GMF and/or EMF level...

2. Drag & drop of "My component" element from the ecore file in the navigator to the DeviceOverview GMF diagram just does nothing and displays no error message.

I send you also the generated application project.
Please note that I made several tries to get all this running and the GMF tools files I uploaded in my first message may not be exactly in the same state I just described above.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Laurent
Re: Shortcut drag and drop between two models [message #781682 is a reply to message #780770] Sun, 22 January 2012 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Golubev is currently offline Michael GolubevFriend
Hello,

You are mixing different concepts here.

In GMF-T we are referring as shortcuts the completely "alien" elements that are
- added to the diagram explicitly by the user,
- rendered and supported by the means of some other diagram plugin (lets forget about the self-shortcuts for simplicity)

It means that if you are going to show the shortcuts from the diagram B at the diagram A, neither code nor a definition models of the diagram A normally knows about the diagram B elements.
In particular neither diagram updater nor the element creation code of the diagram A is expected to handle the presence of the B-elements.

The B-code handles the internal structure (labels, children, etc) of all added shortcuts as well as the links outgoing from them.
The code from diagram A may handle the links outgoing from A-elements that has B-elements as their targets, also I am not 100% sure this will work out of the box without manual changes too.

Also, actually GMF only supports top-level shortcuts (those placed at the diagram canvas).

Consider the following use case:
User has loaded the 2 different CDModel's resources into the resource set and via property sheet has chosen 2 different Components C1 and C2 as used-by Device D.

You have 2 options here:
- a) Automatically show the both C1/C2 as an inner elements of D (it means the components are NOT shortcurs, because they are managed by the Device diagram updater)
- b) Don't change anything at the diagram until user explicitly adds the C1 or C2 as a top-level shortcut at the D-diagram canvas. Once something added, automatically show the D-link "uses" from D to C1/C2. (this is canonical shortcut use case)

The option b) is simpler to implement -- you should just:
- remove the node mapping for component from the device, and
- in the GMFGen model for D-diagram add the "Create Shortcut Action" into the ContextMenu
- set the D-Diagram#containsShortcutsTo = "componentdetail" (extension of the model resource for components)

But to my understanding you want to implement an option a) which actually has a poor support from the generation.

The problem here is that you want C to be graphically contained in D but the diagram code does not know where to put the new created C because you don't specify any containment.
This causes the problem 1) from your post -- GMF made some guess about what are the proper containers for new C's while generating the ComponentCreateCommand for diagram D. Warning told you that the guessed container was not matched, so you should not be surprised by the CCE.

To fix CCE, you may either
- disable creation of the new Components at the D diagram completely. Then just add generated @not "return false;" into the (d.diagram) ComponentCreateCommand#canExecute()
- substitute real creation of the Component with choosing of the existing component. In this case, replace ComponentCreateCommand#canExecute() with "return true; // user always can choose something", and reimplement the doExecuteWithResult here by the code very similar to the one that you get generated after adding the "Create Shortcut Action" into the ContextMenu of the D-diagram GMFGen.
This will solve the problem 1) from your post.

If you want to set the Device#uses reference by the means of DND of the component, you need to
- write something similar to the attached DeviceDragDropEditPolicy
- use it instead the default one in the DeviceEditPart#createDefaultEditPolicies() like:
installEditPolicy(EditPolicyRoles.DRAG_DROP_ROLE, new DeviceDragDropEditPolicy());
(I would recommend to NOT write the generated @not code here, but register it as a CustomBehavior for DeviceEditPart in gmfgen model)

It would be nice if you created a bugzilla for us to handle that at the generation stage. It is not yet clear for me how this behavior and all its variants may be specified in the gmf input models, but a few votes may help us to identify this as a common issue.

Regards,
Michael "Borlander" Golubev
at Montages Think Tank, Prague, Czech Republic
Montages AG, Zürich, Switzerland
Re: Shortcut drag and drop between two models [message #782202 is a reply to message #781682] Mon, 23 January 2012 10:40 Go to previous message
Hi Michael,

Many thanks for your comprehensive answer.
I'll need some time to "process" all this information and to see what to do regarding Buzilla.

Regards,

Laurent
Previous Topic:Timedout error while downloading gmf plugin
Next Topic:GMF Tooling Visual Editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 05:19:43 GMT 2024