Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Applet Running Issue(Applet runs using "Run as Java Applet" But Not in IE 8)
Applet Running Issue [message #779140] Sat, 14 January 2012 21:01 Go to next message
Richard Born is currently offline Richard BornFriend
I have written a very simple "Hello World" applet. It runs perfectly in eclipse when selecting Run>Run As Java Applet. However, when running it from an html page, a rectangle the size of applet appears with an ! in the upper left corner and text "Error: click for details". Clicking does nothing but hangs up IE -- have to invoke Task Manager to stop IE. Same thing happens when I use Safari. Applets from other Web users run without problems. class, java, and htm files attached.

Using: eclipse Indigo Service Release 1 Build 20110916-0149
Using: IE 8.0.7601.17514

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Richard Born
Re: Applet Running Issue [message #779341 is a reply to message #779140] Sun, 15 January 2012 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim Bennett is currently offline Tim BennettFriend
Your files work perfectly fine for me in Firefox 9.0.1 and IE 7.0.5730.13...

A lot of people have been having trouble with the Java Next-Generation Plugin. Perhaps try disabling that? (Control Panel > Java > 'Advanced' tab > Find 'Java Plug-In' > Click the '+' on the left to expand the branch > Uncheck the check box to disable the Java Next-Generation Plugin...

What version of Java are you using? If you have more than JDK installed, make sure to select the proper JDK for your project in the project properties.
Re: Applet Running Issue [message #779377 is a reply to message #779341] Sun, 15 January 2012 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks

In Program Files>Java I have:

jdk1.7.0_02
jre6
jre7

The Java Next-Generation Plugin is checked but greyed out, so I am not allowed to uncheck it.

Not sure what to try next ...
Re: Applet Running Issue [message #779585 is a reply to message #779377] Mon, 16 January 2012 05:12 Go to previous message
Finally figured out the issue. In Eclipse, I needed (in the "New Java Project" window) to select "Use a specific JRE" and specify JRE6. Not select "Use an execution environment JRE" in which I selected JavaSE-1.7.
Previous Topic:Console Error Messege, C++
Next Topic:Enabling assertions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 07:55:09 GMT 2024