Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Erratic CPU Use in Eclipse Indigo
Erratic CPU Use in Eclipse Indigo [message #776954] Mon, 09 January 2012 15:32 Go to next message
Reinhardt Christiansen is currently offline Reinhardt ChristiansenFriend
Starting yesterday, I've been getting very frustrated with Eclipse Indigo (3.7.0). Eclipse hourglasses frequently and long enough to be greatly reducing my productivity. To put some ballpark numbers on it, every minute or so, Eclipse hourglasses for roughly 15 or 20 seconds. I know Eclipse is the culprit because when I check Windows Task Manager during the hourglassing, eclipse.exe is at roughly 25% of the CPU.

What I don't know is WHY this is happening and I'd appreciate some suggestions on what I can do to determine this.

I am running on Windows XP SP2. My processor is an AMD Phenom 9350 Quad-Core-Processor. For what it's worth, When I look at Performance under Control Panel, it shows a major spike in disk activity that coincides with the start of hourglassing. I'm at a loss to understand why though. I'm simply minding my own business writing Java code; there is nothing else of any significance going on beside that. The System Idle process is at 99% the rest of the time. For instance, I have Thunderbird open so I can check for emails periodically and a browser with many open tabs is open too so that I can research things but I'm barely touching the browser. I'm definitely not printing anything, burning CDs, or any of those other things that are typically so CPU intensive. In any case, those activies would show up under different processes, not eclipse.exe.

Any ideas on what could be going on? I'm not saying Eclipse is exclusively at fault here but it certainly seems to be a major factor so I'd love to know what to do about this. It really is inhibiting my productivity to have to pause so frequently ans so long while Eclipse gets "caught up".

By the way, I should mention that I have both stopped and restarted Eclipse and rebooted the computer in the hopes that I'd see some improvement but it didn't help.

Re: Erratic CPU Use in Eclipse Indigo [message #777264 is a reply to message #776954] Tue, 10 January 2012 06:57 Go to previous message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak AzadFriend
Please open a bug (bugs.eclipse.org) and provide the following information
- Complete configuration details, i.e. installed plugins
- Description of what you were doing when the high usage occurred
- Create stack dumps - http://wiki.eclipse.org/How_to_report_a_deadlock.
Previous Topic:Adding a PopupMenu item to Java source folders
Next Topic:Why .metadata is so huge?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:01:38 GMT 2024