Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Location of .gdbinit not always honored during STL object pretty printing setup
Location of .gdbinit not always honored during STL object pretty printing setup [message #773028] Sat, 31 December 2011 08:31 Go to next message
Myron Flickner is currently offline Myron FlicknerFriend
I followed the instructions in the CDT FAQ to setup pretty printing for STL objects. However, eclipse doesn't load .gdbinit properly for all projects. It wasn't loading for my main project so I created a test project - it loads fine for that project. In both cases Window -> preferences -> C/C++ -> Debug -> GDB indicates it should use /home/flick/.gdbinit.

The failing project still tries .gdbinit despite the fact I told it to use /home/flick/.gdbinit. A work around is to copy/sym link .gdbinit to the working directory.

From debug traces console on the failure -
069,406 7source .gdbinit
069,406 &"source .gdbinit\n"
069,406 &".gdbinit: No such file or directory.\n"
069,407 7^error,msg=".gdbinit: No such file or directory."

Is there some way I can force eclipse to use the specified location ? Is there some debug tracing one can enable to see why it tries the wrong location ? Is this a bug ?

Imaging away / flick
Re: Location of .gdbinit not always honored during STL object pretty printing setup [message #773075 is a reply to message #773028] Sat, 31 December 2011 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
I guess you created the failing Debug Launch Configurations before you changed the default in Window -> preferences -> C/C++ -> Debug -> GDB

You have to edit the failing Debug Launch Configurations and change the location for gdbinit manually.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Location of .gdbinit not always honored during STL object pretty printing setup [message #773199 is a reply to message #773075] Sat, 31 December 2011 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Myron Flickner is currently offline Myron FlicknerFriend
Thanks for the response! I also thought that might be the issue but Project->Properties-> Run/Debug Settings then editing the Launch configuration and selecting Configure Workspace Settings... ->C/C++ ->Debug -> GDB also points to /home/flick/.gbinit. Is there another way to change this ? It appears to work if I create a new launch configuration ( but not duplicate an existing one ).

A search of my project tree for .gdbinit comes up empty.

Imaging away /flick
Re: Location of .gdbinit not always honored during STL object pretty printing setup [message #774051 is a reply to message #773199] Tue, 03 January 2012 07:08 Go to previous message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Myron Flickner wrote on Sat, 31 December 2011 22:05
Thanks for the response! I also thought that might be the issue but Project->Properties-> Run/Debug Settings ...

When I do this I do not see the debugger options pane. Can you edit the launch configuration directly? In the menu bar click the small triangle right of the bug icon and choose "Debug Configurations...".

Quote:
It appears to work if I create a new launch configuration ( but not duplicate an existing one ).

That would support my assumption.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Previous Topic:how to add make file project type in tool chain in CDT
Next Topic:CDT 8.0.1 Regular Expressions Error Parser missing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:57:25 GMT 2024