Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » EDT for Mac OSX
EDT for Mac OSX [message #763279] Fri, 09 December 2011 13:42 Go to next message
Aaron Bartell is currently offline Aaron BartellFriend
Hi all,

I am on a Mac OSX Lion laptop. I run various versions of Eclipse so I was expecting that EDT would be a seamless install. When I go to the download page I only see Windows and Linux versions. I downloaded the Linux 64bit version and attempted to run the install but it failed.

Anybody else on Mac OSX that has it working? Can EDT be installed as a plugin into an existing Eclipse install?

Thanks,
AaronBartell.com
Re: EDT for Mac OSX [message #763285 is a reply to message #763279] Fri, 09 December 2011 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will Smythe is currently offline Will SmytheFriend
Hi Aaron - have you tried installing via the Update Site approach? The all-in-one packages are designed for specific platforms (Windows/Linux 32/64 bit), whereas the Update Site *should* allow you to install EDT into a Eclipse JEE version 3.6 or 3.7 IDE on any supported platform.
Re: EDT for Mac OSX [message #763498 is a reply to message #763285] Fri, 09 December 2011 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nikola StanacevFriend
Hi Will,

I can confirm that the installation on OS X is working by using the the software update site, but it would be nice to have that splash screen from the native package also on Mac Very Happy

Thanks,
Nikola
Re: EDT for Mac OSX [message #763509 is a reply to message #763498] Fri, 09 December 2011 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justin Spadea is currently offline Justin SpadeaFriend
Hi Nikola,

Here's how you can add the "EDT Package" feature to your existing EDT installation, which provides the splash screen (as well as other "branding" of the Eclipse IDE):

1. Add the update site http://download.eclipse.org/edt/releases/1.0

2. Help > Install New Software > pick the update site from step 1.

3. Check "Hide items that are already installed" and uncheck "Group items by category"

4. Install both "Eclipse IDE for EGL Web Developers" and "EGL Web Developer IDE Feature". These are additional features that come with the all-in-one build, but are not required to use the EGL tooling. They change the splash screen, about dialog, default perspective, etc.

When I did this it automatically updated eclipse.ini for me so that the EDT splash screen is now used.

-Justin
Re: EDT for Mac OSX [message #763598 is a reply to message #763498] Sat, 10 December 2011 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nikola - good to hear. How has your experience been so far (running the tools on MacOS)? Does most stuff seem to work?
Re: EDT for Mac OSX [message #763612 is a reply to message #763598] Sat, 10 December 2011 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend

Hey Will.

The tools are working great for me on Mac.

--Dan
Re: EDT for Mac OSX [message #763754 is a reply to message #763612] Sat, 10 December 2011 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I opened an enhancement request to 'support' Mac OS as a supported platform for EWDT (EGL Web Development Tools) - https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=366297

Please doc your experiences (good and bad) and/or the issues you run into under this bug.
Re: EDT for Mac OSX [message #897035 is a reply to message #763754] Fri, 20 July 2012 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nathan Reed is currently offline Nathan ReedFriend
This post is a bit old but wanted to pitch in.

I just got EDT loaded on a Mac.

Fantastic. Works great.

I vote for any continued support.

Thx,

Nathan Reed
Re: EDT for Mac OSX [message #1007686 is a reply to message #897035] Thu, 07 February 2013 06:11 Go to previous message
Gilbert Herschberger is currently offline Gilbert HerschbergerFriend
I have also installed EGL Development Tools (EDT) on Mac OS X (Lion). The procedure isn't exactly intuitive. It does not use the standard "OS X" way of installing applications. You do not "download" EDT from the project page. To see what I am saying, take a look at my video on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkkckAmjkV0

But, once you get past that and it is installed, it works just fine. When can we see EGL generate to Objective C? Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 07 February 2013 06:13]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:How much of EDT is written in EGL?
Next Topic:Video Series: Essential EGL+Batch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 04:07:24 GMT 2024