Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch)(launching a project in the debugger fails with NPE)
'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #759925] Wed, 30 November 2011 15:21 Go to next message
Marc Smith is currently offline Marc SmithFriend
user domc posts in the newcomer forum (message #757625)
the gist is:

-------------------------------------
when i run or try to debug a file, I get the following pop-up error message.

PROBLEM OCCURRED

'Animation start' has encountered a problem.
An internal error has occurred.
-------------------------------------

seems a couple of others are having this issue, and was hoping to hear from someone who has made it past it, thx.
Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #759926 is a reply to message #759925] Wed, 30 November 2011 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
using version 3.0.2 on OSX 10.7.2
Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #761536 is a reply to message #759926] Tue, 06 December 2011 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RESOLUTION (for me, anyhow):

seems unchecking the "Launch in Background" checkbox in the COMMON tab on the run configuration made this problem go away for me.

[Updated on: Tue, 06 December 2011 16:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #793767 is a reply to message #759925] Wed, 08 February 2012 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dennis  änger is currently offline Dennis ängerFriend
I'm having the same problem.

Disabling "Launch in Background" is indeed a workaround, but no solution for me (I need the background launch when running phpunit tests using an external tool config).

Occurs in PDT 3.0.2 on MacOSX 10.6.8

Edit: I filled a bug on this: bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=370959

[Updated on: Wed, 08 February 2012 14:49]

Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #882380 is a reply to message #793767] Wed, 06 June 2012 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg Amerson is currently offline Greg AmersonFriend
Hello,

I recently ran into this same problem with my own custom eclipse product distribution (custom name, custom .app folder, etc). The problem I had was this setting in the .ini file:
-Xdock:icon=../Resources/Eclipse.icns
was pointing to a non-existent file (there was no ../Resources/Eclipse.icns in my custom product, the .icns file had another custom name.

So in your PDT installation on OSX open up the .app folder and then dig down into MacOS/Contents and look at the .ini file. make sure that the -Xdock:icon property is pointing to a valid/existing file. If you don't have that property then add it. Then relaunch Eclipse/PDT and try again.

Hope this helps.
Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #897156 is a reply to message #759925] Sun, 22 July 2012 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sandip Shah is currently offline Sandip ShahFriend
Deselecting "Launch in background" works for me.

Adding an icon does not.

Sandip
Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #972573 is a reply to message #882380] Mon, 05 November 2012 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jamil Missing name is currently offline Jamil Missing nameFriend
Greg Amerson wrote on Wed, 06 June 2012 06:44
Hello,

I recently ran into this same problem with my own custom eclipse product distribution (custom name, custom .app folder, etc). The problem I had was this setting in the .ini file:
-Xdock:icon=../Resources/Eclipse.icns
was pointing to a non-existent file (there was no ../Resources/Eclipse.icns in my custom product, the .icns file had another custom name.

So in your PDT installation on OSX open up the .app folder and then dig down into MacOS/Contents and look at the .ini file. make sure that the -Xdock:icon property is pointing to a valid/existing file. If you don't have that property then add it. Then relaunch Eclipse/PDT and try again.

Hope this helps.

This worked for me. Just make sure that you dig into the actual application to get to the Resources folder
icon7.gif  Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #1043343 is a reply to message #759925] Wed, 17 April 2013 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nilo Cesar Teixeira is currently offline Nilo Cesar TeixeiraFriend
The icon solution works perfectly for Mountain Lion and latest PDT at this time:

Eclipse for PHP Developers

Version: 3.0.2

Thank you!
Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #1060699 is a reply to message #882380] Tue, 28 May 2013 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roberto Tiozzo is currently offline Roberto TiozzoFriend
Hi I have arrived to this forum googling "Eclipse Animation Start problems" and I really home I can get your advice. I have installed Eclipse on my Mac following the instructions of a book : PHP for Absolute Beginners that explains you right away what I am : an absolute beginner ... Smile Be patient with me!!!
My problem is the software seems not to work properly giving me the following alert:
"Animation start" has encountered a problem. An internal error has occurred.
Details:
An internal error has occurred. Java.lang.NullPointerException.

As a result nothing runs on the browser when it test to the local url created through xampp.

In attachment you can see some screenshots of what I mean. Can you kindly help?
Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #1062084 is a reply to message #1060699] Wed, 05 June 2013 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kaloyan Raev is currently offline Kaloyan RaevFriend
Roberto, could you attach your error log file so we can have a deeper look where this NullPointerException is generated?

The error log file is located at <your_workspace>/.metadata/.log, where <your_workspace> is the directory you have selected when starting Eclipse.
Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #1062103 is a reply to message #1062084] Thu, 06 June 2013 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi and thanks a lot for your reply!
I have tried to follow your directions but unfortunately I cannot find any metadata folders with log files inside my generated Contents Workspace. Pls. see as follows my attachments and tell me if I made something wrong.
Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #1062112 is a reply to message #1062103] Thu, 06 June 2013 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The dot in front of folder and file names indicates that they are hidden on Unix-based operating systems like Linux and MacOS.

Find a way to configure your file browser to show the hidden files.

Or, as an alternative, use a terminal to copy to .log file to another name without leading dot, so it is not hidden anymore.
Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #1062155 is a reply to message #1062112] Thu, 06 June 2013 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In attachment the log file requested.

Roberto
  • Attachment: log.zip
    (Size: 1.54KB, Downloaded 247 times)
Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #1062159 is a reply to message #1062112] Thu, 06 June 2013 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the previous email I have sent you the zipped ".log". Hope it will be visible in your computer.
Robert
Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #1062167 is a reply to message #1062159] Thu, 06 June 2013 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I am able to download the file, but the NullPointerException is not there. However, in the log file it says that it is a continuation from a previous one.

Could you do the following:
1. Start Eclipse in a fresh new workspace.
2. Reproduce the problem.
3. Attach to this post the .log file from this new workspace.

This way it will be possible to take a look only at the logs relevant to this problem and hopefully they will fit in a single .log file.
Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #1062175 is a reply to message #1062167] Thu, 06 June 2013 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Really hope this works! Eventually should you feel comfortable I can share my screen for further support ...
Robert
  • Attachment: log.zip
    (Size: 9.42KB, Downloaded 219 times)
Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #1062184 is a reply to message #1062175] Thu, 06 June 2013 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, now I see the NullPointerException.

So, your case is exactly as in https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=320089

Have you tried the suggested solution earlier in this post? Click here to see it: http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/mv/msg/263016/972573/#msg_972573

[Updated on: Thu, 06 June 2013 12:21]

Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #1062221 is a reply to message #1062184] Thu, 06 June 2013 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I have tried and modified also the file ini: -Xdock:icon=../Resources/Eclipse.icns. The poblem is that by digging in the resources folder there is nothing. By the way it is not working!
Re: 'Animation Start' has encountered a problem (on launch) [message #1062235 is a reply to message #1062184] Thu, 06 June 2013 16:05 Go to previous message
Seems I have solved the problem of the error message. Now however I have another problem. i am following the steps to learn programming of a book on php and I wrote a simple coding to test by simulating a publish in the local host through xampp. No matter how the url has not be found. I am sorry to be overwhelming but I hope you can understand the problems of a beginner. Here is what I did and what I got. Would you be so kind to explain why I cannot get a positive results? Thank you in advance for your patience
Previous Topic:BUG: HTML5 select does have required attribute
Next Topic:xDebug does not stop on break point
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:04:56 GMT 2024