Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Running out of Heap Memory after building a large project(Eclipse Indigo runs out of Heap Memory while indexing files created by an Ant build)
Running out of Heap Memory after building a large project [message #755215] Mon, 07 November 2011 17:38 Go to next message
Stephen Wick is currently offline Stephen WickFriend
I am using Eclipse Indigo SR1 on a Dell Latitude E6410 laptop with 4GB of RAM, a 2.6Ghz Core i5 processor and Windows Vista SP2 (32-bit).

I configured eclipse.ini with a max of 1024 heap space, because that's all it will let me use. Eclipse won't start with a larger max heap setting.

I have a project in Microsoft TFS that contains 59,538 files and 4,821 folders, 1.8GB. Eclipse seems to work fine at this point.

After I run an Ant build and press F5 (Refresh) on the "build" folder, the project increases to 113,087 files, 7,882 folders, and 3.83GB. This is when I start to have problems. The Heap usage climbs to 990MB. Eventually I get an error dialog from Eclipse saying "Multiple problems have occurred, Java heap space, Background Indexer Crash Recovery, JSP Index Manager: Processing Resource Events." Then I have to restart Eclipse. Within minutes Eclipse displays the same error messages. This issue persists until I delete the "build" folder and hit refresh.

Is this a problem with Eclipse?

If I have to, can I configure Eclipse so that it does not try to index the "build" folder?
Re: Running out of Heap Memory after building a large project [message #755220 is a reply to message #755215] Mon, 07 November 2011 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak AzadFriend
On 11/7/2011 11:08 PM, Stephen Wick wrote:
> JSP Index Manager: Processing Resource Events.

Can you specify your Eclipse Configuration? What plugins you have
installed or which package did you download from eclipse.org ?
Re: Running out of Heap Memory after building a large project [message #755471 is a reply to message #755220] Tue, 08 November 2011 15:39 Go to previous message
Stephen Wick is currently offline Stephen WickFriend
I installed eclipse-jee-indigo-win32.zip.
I performed an update via "Check for Updates" to get to Service Release 1.
I've installed the JADClipse plugin to perform Java Class Decompilation.
The Microsoft Team Explorer Everywhere Plugin for Team Foundation Server (a version control system like Subversion). TFSEclipsePlugin-UpdateSiteArchive-10.1.0.zip

I think this is all that has been installed.

I had the same problem with Eclipse Helios.
Previous Topic:Open Proj.by passing .project file to Eclipse possible?
Next Topic:Quick project from .java file?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 01:08:17 GMT 2024