Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » rebase fails
rebase fails [message #754105] Mon, 31 October 2011 18:53 Go to next message
Bit2_Gosu  is currently offline Bit2_Gosu Friend
Hi!

I have a master branch. I then created a new branch called "gummis". I made a fiew commits in "gummis" and one commit in "master" after creation of "gummis".
Currently i have "gummis" checked out and in repository view I clicked on "rebase" with target local -> master (in order to include the additonal commit in master branch that was added after creation of "gummis"). However I get the message:

"Can only cherry-pick commits which have exactly one parent".

Firstly I don't fully understand this message. Secondly the last commit in master branch has exactly one parent. What did I do wrong?

[Updated on: Mon, 31 October 2011 18:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: rebase fails [message #754196 is a reply to message #754105] Tue, 01 November 2011 10:23 Go to previous message
Stefan Lay is currently offline Stefan LayFriend
Hi,

I guess that you have at least one merge commit in your branch "gummis". In that case EGit cannot yet rebase it.

Rebasing "gummis" on master means that each commit on "gummis" is taken and its diff is applied sequentially to the target, starting on the HEAD of the master branch. The single operations are called cherry-pick. If there is a merge commit with more than one parent, cherry-pick is not yet possible.

You can do that with git on the command line. But in principle it is good practice to avoid merges in a feature branch you have under local control. It would still be possible to get rid of the merge commit in your feature branch, but that's not that easy.

Stefan

Previous Topic:Potential Locking Issue on Project Import
Next Topic:[solved] check in/out problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:27:16 GMT 2024