Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » CDT Remote debugging(Remote Debugging setup in CDT)
CDT Remote debugging [message #741890] Thu, 20 October 2011 01:47
Vidya  is currently offline Vidya Friend
Hello All,

I am new to eclipse, and CDT, and am trying to establish a remote debugging setup for my project. So far, I have found 2 ways to remote debug an application.

1. Use the C/C++ Attach to application option: Here I can chose the debugger as gdb server, set the connection properties and debug an already running application on the target, provided there is a gdbserver instance running on the target.
2. C/C++ Remote application - This is tied to the RSE framework according to my understanding and can be used to start and debug applications remotely, without the need to start gdbserver on the target.

What I would ideally like to do is, remotely debug an already running application at the target, without having to manually start gdbserver at the target. What is the use case for option1 vs option2? Are there are more ways to debug applications remotely?

Please excuse me if I have posted an already discussed topic, although I have a found a lot of posts regarding remote debugging, I have not come across one that compares these two options.

Thanks for your time!
Previous Topic:External data viewers
Next Topic:Build and Debug/Run as
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 24 06:25:12 GMT 2024