Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » XML Schema Definition (XSD) » Is there a <xsd:all> limitation?
Is there a <xsd:all> limitation? [message #7233] Fri, 03 January 2003 00:33 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: malcolm.nuearth.com

I get an error when I do diagnostics such as demonstrated in
XSDPrototypicalSchema.printSchema(). The following is the error message:
"The <all> content model with 16 options is too large"

I'm processing a schema that has <xsd:all>, and one of the <xsd:all>
contains 16 elements. Is 16 elements too many? I couldn't find any
limitations on http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/

Any recommendations?
Thanks,
malcolm
Re: Is there a <xsd:all> limitation? [message #7281 is a reply to message #7233] Tue, 07 January 2003 14:30 Go to previous message
Shane Curcuru is currently offline Shane CurcuruFriend
Since I think Ed's still away on holiday I'll provide my best answer: this is a current synthetic limitation in the XSD model.
<all> content models with many elements can get very difficult to validate if you check all permutations, especially in terms
of performance of the XSD model. I think (this is not canonical, but my understanding) that Ed's decided to 'punt' at first
and simply emit this diagnostic for very large <all> models to let the user know that we may not have calculated all the
validation data for this portion of the schema.

Note that this validation message should not affect the vast majority of uses of the XSD model; you can still
read/query/edit/save the whole schema safely, so most folks can ignore this diagnostic for now. (Of course it may affect you
if you're trying to validate a specific element within the <all>, but that's another story).

- Shane
Re: Is there a <xsd:all> limitation? [message #564383 is a reply to message #7233] Tue, 07 January 2003 14:30 Go to previous message
Shane Curcuru is currently offline Shane CurcuruFriend
Since I think Ed's still away on holiday I'll provide my best answer: this is a current synthetic limitation in the XSD model.
<all> content models with many elements can get very difficult to validate if you check all permutations, especially in terms
of performance of the XSD model. I think (this is not canonical, but my understanding) that Ed's decided to 'punt' at first
and simply emit this diagnostic for very large <all> models to let the user know that we may not have calculated all the
validation data for this portion of the schema.

Note that this validation message should not affect the vast majority of uses of the XSD model; you can still
read/query/edit/save the whole schema safely, so most folks can ignore this diagnostic for now. (Of course it may affect you
if you're trying to validate a specific element within the <all>, but that's another story).

- Shane
Previous Topic:Namespace Resolution
Next Topic:prohibiting attributes in extension
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 05:54:36 GMT 2024