Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Can one have the standard eclipse workspace and a standard git repository?(The Repository setup menu if fighting me!)
Can one have the standard eclipse workspace and a standard git repository? [message #739957] Tue, 18 October 2011 02:31 Go to next message
Dave Stampf is currently offline Dave StampfFriend
Hi,

I relatively new to all of this, so please let feel free to point me to a better source of information.

Here is what I'd like to do (I'm on a Mac, latest O/S, latest Eclipse, just installed egit).

I have a number of projects in the standard workspace (~/Documents/workspace/... and I have a directory set aside to hold Git repositories (~/GitRepositories). However, it seems that no matter what I do, I am forced to have my source code moved from the standard workspace to ~/GitRepositories/. As soon as all of the files are moved there, Eclipse loses track of them and I am force to re-import them into eclipse (and I'm assuming that I have to not copy the sources back into the workspace).

Since the initial tutorial doesn't mention this step, I'm a bit concerned that I'm missing something very basic.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave
Re: Can one have the standard eclipse workspace and a standard git repository? [message #740337 is a reply to message #739957] Tue, 18 October 2011 12:03 Go to previous message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
This is an indication that you're importing your Git projects incorrectly: sources will never be moved in a normal import. What operations did you do specifically?

It's also worth mentioning that there isn't really a 'standard' Eclipse workspace. There's a _default_ workspace, which in osx is, as you say, ~/Documents/workspace. But this is just a default. You don't have to use it and you might well find that it's cleaner and simpler to create a new workspace for each software project you work on (a single software project could of course include multiple Eclipse projects).
Previous Topic:install fails in eclipse classic/java developers
Next Topic:Quirk in "Compare with Version in Ancestor"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:33:17 GMT 2024