Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Modeling (top-level project) » How to model models with object definitions and instances
How to model models with object definitions and instances [message #735571] Wed, 12 October 2011 09:03
venturini is currently offline venturiniFriend
Hello,

I am reaching out to the forums to pose a question on modelling best-practices.

I am developing a meta-model for generic systems made up of components and connections - e.g. digital circuits. My meta-model contains:

* elements to describe a component and its internal behaviour;
* elements to describe the connections between components.

My systems can contain multiple components of the same type: for example I can have a digital circuit with 3 components, each of them being a logical AND gate. With my current meta-model, each AND gate is an instance of the class "Component".

My problem is: each time I create a new instance of the class "Component", I also need to define its full behaviour. Therefore, having 3 AND gates, I need to define the same behaviour 3 times.

In other words, my models are flat - i.e. they do not contain any concept of object definition and object instantiation.

I would like to develop a meta-model that lets me create a definition of, say, a generic AND gate, and also lets me create several instances of this generic AND gate.

Has anyone come across this modelling problem?

Thank you in advance,
Alberto
Previous Topic:Announcing The Eclipse Fall 2011 Training Series
Next Topic:Cannot register my EPackage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:53:20 GMT 2024