Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Where did the "use parallel build" checkbox go?
Where did the "use parallel build" checkbox go? [message #733530] Wed, 05 October 2011 00:25 Go to next message
Chris Stankevitz is currently offline Chris StankevitzFriend
Hello,

Why does my "Behavior" tab not include a "Use parallel build" checkbox?

The documentation implies it should:
http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.cdt.doc.user%2Freference%2Fcdt_u_prop_build.htm

The attached file shows what I see:
index.php/fa/4153/0/

Thank you,

Chris

Autotools support for CDT (Incubation)	3.0.1.201109281206	org.eclipse.linuxtools.cdt.autotools.feature.group	Eclipse Linux Tools
  CollabNet Merge Client	2.2.4	com.collabnet.subversion.merge.feature.feature.group	CollabNet
  Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers	1.4.0.20110615-0550	epp.package.cpp	null
  JNA Library	3.2.7	com.sun.jna.feature.group	null
  Subclipse (Required)	1.6.18	org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.feature.group	tigris.org
  Subclipse Integration for Mylyn 3.x (Optional)	3.0.0	org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.mylyn.feature.group	tigris.org
  Subversion Client Adapter (Required)	1.6.12	org.tigris.subversion.clientadapter.feature.feature.group	tigris.org
  Subversion JavaHL Native Library Adapter (Required)	1.6.17	org.tigris.subversion.clientadapter.javahl.feature.feature.group	tigris.org
  Subversion Revision Graph	1.0.9	org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.graph.feature.feature.group	tigris.org
  SVNKit Client Adapter (Not required)	1.6.15	org.tigris.subversion.clientadapter.svnkit.feature.feature.group	tigris.org
  SVNKit Library	1.3.5.7406	org.tmatesoft.svnkit.feature.group	TMate Software
Re: Where did the "use parallel build" checkbox go? [message #733725 is a reply to message #733530] Wed, 05 October 2011 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doug Schaefer is currently offline Doug SchaeferFriend
I'm not sure where it went. There are problems with it since it was very make specific. And yes, the documentation is probably out of date. We haven't had people contribute to it in a while.

You can add the -j option to the build command yourself by overriding the build command.
Re: Where did the "use parallel build" checkbox go? [message #733893 is a reply to message #733725] Wed, 05 October 2011 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Stankevitz is currently offline Chris StankevitzFriend
Thank you, I will try it.

My spidey-sense tells me that -j4 will mess up the error parsing and eclipse's ability to jump to the source of the error. Do you suspect the same?

Thank you,

Chris
Re: Where did the "use parallel build" checkbox go? [message #1777168 is a reply to message #733893] Sat, 25 November 2017 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel Pocock is currently offline Daniel PocockFriend

It looks like you have an Autotools project and maybe not a vanilla C/C++ project. Apparently the parallel build options don't appear for Autotools builds, there is a feature request in the bug tracker to make this work properly

The workaround appears to be manually adding "-j" to the make command line
Re: Where did the "use parallel build" checkbox go? [message #1777771 is a reply to message #733893] Mon, 04 December 2017 14:14 Go to previous message
Norbert Lange is currently offline Norbert LangeFriend
Chris Stankevitz wrote on Wed, 05 October 2011 21:33
Thank you, I will try it.

My spidey-sense tells me that -j4 will mess up the error parsing and eclipse's ability to jump to the source of the error. Do you suspect the same?

Thank you,

Chris

GNU Make has an option "-O" which will group output of its rules together (usually one per object file). Works rather nicely (perhaps CDT should add this by default)
Previous Topic:Error when using EXIT_FAILURE C++ in eclipse
Next Topic:MINGW_HOME Relative Path (code cannot be debugged)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 16:12:28 GMT 2024