Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Cloning remote repository fails
Cloning remote repository fails [message #730216] Tue, 27 September 2011 22:40 Go to next message
The Ranger is currently offline The RangerFriend
Hello all,

Please advice about the following error that occurs when I try to clone the existing repository via ssh.

Since I cannot use any certificates I would like to use regular password-based authentication.

The clone repository dialog shows me the branches but when I try to make the final checkout it fails with the following error and the UI shows only dialog box:

Git repository clone failed.
ssh://*********@******.ee:22: Password:

It was working with older release of Eclipse (don't remember the version though). TortoiseGit is working fine.

eclipse.buildId=M20110909-1335
java.version=1.7.0
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

Error
Wed Sep 28 01:32:08 EEST 2011
Git repository clone failed.

org.eclipse.jgit.errors.UnsupportedCredentialItem: ssh://*******@*******.ee:22: Password:
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.UsernamePasswordCredentialsProvider.get(UsernamePasswordCredentialsProvider.java:110)
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.CredentialsProvider.get(CredentialsProvider.java:135)
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.CredentialsProviderUserInfo.promptKeyboardInteractive(CredentialsProviderUserInfo.java:142)
at com.jcraft.jsch.UserAuthKeyboardInteractive.start(UserAuthKeyboardInteractive.java:130)
at com.jcraft.jsch.Session.connect(Session.java:419)
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.JschConfigSessionFactory.getSession(JschConfigSessionFactory.java:128)
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.SshTransport.getSession(SshTransport.java:121)
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.TransportGitSsh$SshFetchConnection.<init>(TransportGitSsh.java:248)
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.TransportGitSsh.openFetch(TransportGitSsh.java:147)
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.FetchProcess.executeImp(FetchProcess.java:127)
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.FetchProcess.execute(FetchProcess.java:113)
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.Transport.fetch(Transport.java:1062)
at org.eclipse.jgit.api.FetchCommand.call(FetchCommand.java:136)
at org.eclipse.jgit.api.CloneCommand.fetch(CloneCommand.java:174)
at org.eclipse.jgit.api.CloneCommand.call(CloneCommand.java:118)
at org.eclipse.egit.core.op.CloneOperation.run(CloneOperation.java:142)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.clone.GitCloneWizard.executeCloneOperation(GitCloneWizard.java:306)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.clone.GitCloneWizard.access$3(GitCloneWizard.java:299)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.clone.GitCloneWizard$4.run(GitCloneWizard.java:261)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:121)
Re: Cloning remote repository fails [message #730374 is a reply to message #730216] Wed, 28 September 2011 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
- User/password authentication over ssh should work.
- What is the EGit version you are using ?
- Your ssh URL looks weird
- are you sure your git ssh daemon is listening on port 22 ?
- why is there a colon after the port number ?
Re: Cloning remote repository fails [message #731088 is a reply to message #730374] Thu, 29 September 2011 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn wrote on Wed, 28 September 2011 05:28
- User/password authentication over ssh should work.
- What is the EGit version you are using ?
- Your ssh URL looks weird
- are you sure your git ssh daemon is listening on port 22 ?
- why is there a colon after the port number ?

I'm using the latest EGit for Eclipse Indigo that I was able to download from repository - 1.1.0.201109151100-r

The SSH URL is the one that the UI shows. There is nothing I can do about it.

The actual URL I'm using is
ssh://xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.ee/path/to/my/repo

Yes, I'm sure that the SSH port is opened since I'm using it for console access. Besides, as I mentioned I can see the branches located on server which means the inital connection goes just fine.
Re: Cloning remote repository fails [message #747721 is a reply to message #731088] Mon, 24 October 2011 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lkluge Mising name is currently offline lkluge Mising nameFriend
I have the same Error.
org.eclipse.jgit.errors.UnsupportedCredentialItem: ssh://USERNAME@DOMAINNAME:3434: Password:
1.) The connection Parameter are right because i can used this in a UNIX Shell.
2.) This Error comes in the Last Step after i have select the Branch Selection. So the Branch Selection has already make a connection the the git server.

This Error comes after the Update from eclipse Indigo with JDK 7 Support.

Greetings

Lothar
Re: Cloning remote repository fails [message #748728 is a reply to message #731088] Mon, 24 October 2011 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
As I don't have access to your repository I suggest you get the EGit/JGit sources (either follow contributor guide or download the source bundles) and try to debug the problem. I tried both with EGit 1.1 released with Indigo SR1 and current nightly to clone the mylyn reviews repository using SSH with user/password and this worked properly.
Re: Cloning remote repository fails [message #769055 is a reply to message #730216] Wed, 21 December 2011 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iddo  is currently offline Iddo Friend
I've encountered a similar error which turned out to be a problem with JDK 7.

Switching to JDK 6 seemed to solve the problem.
Re: Cloning remote repository fails [message #769084 is a reply to message #769055] Wed, 21 December 2011 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iddo wrote on Wed, 21 December 2011 05:16
I've encountered a similar error which turned out to be a problem with JDK 7.

Switching to JDK 6 seemed to solve the problem.

Thanks for the info. I managed to solve this problem by creating the certificates and using the cert-based authentication. The downside was the hassle with the certification management but now I have to enter my password only once in a session.
Re: Cloning remote repository fails [message #821256 is a reply to message #769084] Thu, 15 March 2012 05:29 Go to previous message
eakambaram yadav is currently offline eakambaram yadavFriend
Hi I am new to the JGIT... I am also facing the same issue(org.eclipse.jgit.errors.UnsupportedCredentialItem).I am using windows 7, Eclipse 3.5.2 and JGit(org.eclipse.jgit-1.3.0). Can u please let me know how u solved the issue.How you created the certificates and cert-based authentication
Previous Topic:Show In History shows "No Input"
Next Topic:Help in understanding push/fetch workflow
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:08:24 GMT 2024