Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » defining an external toolchain(how do I define an external toolchain?)
defining an external toolchain [message #730113] Tue, 27 September 2011 16:25 Go to next message
Mike Turner is currently offline Mike TurnerFriend
I've looked in the help system and all round the GUI, and I cannot see how to do this on the WinXP implementtion, though I've met it in the Linux one.

Mike
Re: defining an external toolchain [message #730400 is a reply to message #730113] Wed, 28 September 2011 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike Turner is currently offline Mike TurnerFriend
I have found the following text online :-

"# Eclipse DOES NOT include compilers and tools. You must install compilers for any language (C/C++, Fortran, LaTeX) you wish to write code for BEFORE downloading Eclipse."

I do have a compiler/linker on my XP box but it is a DOS one. Does Eclipse find all XP-installed toolchains when it installs, and thus can I not in fact use a pre-Windows toolchain at all?
Re: defining an external toolchain [message #730422 is a reply to message #730400] Wed, 28 September 2011 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Mike Turner wrote on Wed, 28 September 2011 12:08

I do have a compiler/linker on my XP box but it is a DOS one. Does Eclipse find all XP-installed toolchains when it installs, and thus can I not in fact use a pre-Windows toolchain at all?

Which toolchain do you have? Eclipse supports on Windows MinGW, Cygwin and VisualC++ out of the box. For everything else you will need an additional plugin.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: defining an external toolchain [message #734195 is a reply to message #730113] Fri, 07 October 2011 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex I. is currently offline Alex I.Friend
Mike is right. You need to find a plug in that supports your particular compiler. I have had to find a plugin to support C30 (a microprocessor architecture). I'm currently having problems as well. Eclipse now sees my tool chain, allows me to create that style project, but I cannot compile! The error I get is the following.

**** Build of configuration Hex for project Pic_second_toolchain ****

**** Internal Builder is used for build ****
pic30-gcc.exe -mcpu=30F1010 -g -c -O0 -x c ..\src\file1.c -o src\file1.o
..\src\file1.c:10:20: error: iostream: No such file or directory
Build error occurred, build is stopped
Time consumed: 136 ms.

I'm not sure if you guys can help, but it would be appreciated. I attempted placing iostream in the folder itself, but that was unsuccessful.
Re: defining an external toolchain [message #748063 is a reply to message #734195] Mon, 24 October 2011 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tony Tang is currently offline Tony TangFriend
It seems like your compiler can't find your file.Please check your file path.
Re: defining an external toolchain [message #748067 is a reply to message #730400] Mon, 24 October 2011 13:13 Go to previous message
Tony Tang is currently offline Tony TangFriend
Mike,You can create your own plugin for your eclipse if you have the dos tool-chain,there is an example in Eclipse CDT's help.Just do follow it.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 October 2011 13:14]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Arguments for Run vs Debug
Next Topic:Cannot save debug configuration as shared file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:57:50 GMT 2024