Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Content Assist 2nd list not opened if default is empty
Content Assist 2nd list not opened if default is empty [message #730021] Tue, 27 September 2011 14:01 Go to next message
Marcel Bruch is currently offline Marcel BruchFriend

Hi,

Could someone of the JDT team verify the behavior described below?

If I trigger code completion on a TypeName such as "TableViewerColum" and the proposal engines of the first (default) content assist list do not propose any new proposals (it actually proposes the exact type name completion only), the popup window never occurs.

However, if some completion engine on the second or third content assist list has something new to contribute, it never gets executed since completion stops after the default/first content assist list.

index.php/fa/4068/0/

In our case, we've completion engines that would like to contribute code templates, but this doesn't work if the default content assist list only proposes a single proposal (which automatically gets executed by JDT).

My proposal: If the proposal does not lead to any change in the code (i.e., its execution is 'neutral'), JDT should ask subsequent tabs for proposals too.

Thanks,
Marcel

[Updated on: Tue, 27 September 2011 14:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Content Assist 2nd list not opened if default is empty [message #730064 is a reply to message #730021] Tue, 27 September 2011 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak AzadFriend
On 9/27/2011 7:31 PM, Marcel Bruch wrote:
> In our case, we've completion engines that would like to contribute code templates, but this doesn't work if the default content assist list only proposes a single proposal (which automatically gets executed by JDT).

Yes, that is the default behavior. However, it can be configured by the
user, see Preferences > Content Assist > Insert Single Proposals
Automatically.
Re: Content Assist 2nd list not opened if default is empty [message #730075 is a reply to message #730064] Tue, 27 September 2011 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marcel Bruch is currently offline Marcel BruchFriend

Right =) I couldn't remember that this behavior was configurable.

The reason why I'm asking is, that some people were using code recommenders' code templates for (for example)TableViewerColumn but never got the popups because the proposals where put on the second content list.

I see that this behavior is sometimes what you want to have - but in a few cases (where other engines may propose things on subsequent lists) this might be unexpected. However, I guess, changing this behavior in a way like "IFF the actual editor content did not change, show the proposals of the other lists" wouldn't be intuitive to some others used to this behavior. Changing this may break the current user experience.

Thanks for the tip on the configuration option.

Marcel
Re: Content Assist 2nd list not opened if default is empty [message #730096 is a reply to message #730075] Tue, 27 September 2011 15:47 Go to previous message
Deepak Azad is currently offline Deepak AzadFriend
On 9/27/2011 8:43 PM, Marcel Bruch wrote:
> I see that this behavior is sometimes what you want to have - but in a
> few cases (where other engines may propose things on subsequent lists)
> this might be unexpected.

A user also has the option to add other engines to default proposals list.
Previous Topic:Problem publishing to Tomcat (repost)
Next Topic:"Start: Applet not initialized" help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 06:51:41 GMT 2024