Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Struggling with PDEBuild and products(PDEBuild)
Struggling with PDEBuild and products [message #728577] Fri, 23 September 2011 13:52 Go to next message
Tom Quarendon is currently offline Tom QuarendonFriend
OK. So I've got a product configuration (.product) file and when I use the "Eclipse Product" export wizard I get what I want out of it. I'm now trying to automate the process using PDE Build, following the instructions in the "Building an RCP application from a product configuration file" section of the Plugin Development Environment help.

My current problem appears to be that it's not actually building the java source code for my plugins. It's unclear from the documentation whether it is intended to do that or not, it just says "copy your plugins into the build directory". Am I supposed to be copying the fully built plugins? Or do I copy the source plugins and is the PDE Build supposed to build my java files and bundle up the jars? I've got build.properties files in all of the plugins. However all I get in the output from the product build is a copy of the files that are selected for inclusion (i.e the files in the bin.includes property). I don't get the build jar containing the compiled java code.

The other issue I have is how I get PDEBuild to package each of my plugins as a jar file, rather than as a directory.

Help on either of these topics would be great!

[Updated on: Fri, 23 September 2011 13:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Struggling with PDEBuild and products [message #728656 is a reply to message #728577] Fri, 23 September 2011 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Skorsky is currently offline Martin SkorskyFriend
In my PDE build I get the plug-ins as Jars.
The build.properties of such a plug-in looks like:
---
source.. = src/
output.. = bin/
bin.includes = plugin.xml,\
META-INF/,\
.,\
plugin.properties,\
about.html,\
about.ini,\
about.properties,\
about.mappings,\
icons/,\
intro/
---
The classes are at root of the Jar (indicated by the second dot in 'output.. = bin/'.
'bin' is the output folder of the builder. It is shown in the build tab of the plug-in manifest editor as a library.
Re: Struggling with PDEBuild and products [message #728681 is a reply to message #728656] Fri, 23 September 2011 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curiously, now I look deeper, I do have some projects that create jars.
However so far I have failed to work out what the difference is between the ones that do generate jars and the ones that don't. It seems to have something to do with the "." library in the build configuration, but I have to say it's far from clear what.
Re: Struggling with PDEBuild and products [message #728709 is a reply to message #728681] Fri, 23 September 2011 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No. After more investigation I can't work out what it is that causes the plugin to be created as a jar rather than a folder. I have two projects and the build.properties files are essentially identical. One gives a folder and one gives a jar.

Does anyone know where this is documented?
Re: Struggling with PDEBuild and products [message #728716 is a reply to message #728709] Fri, 23 September 2011 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK. Nothing to do with the build.properties in the plugin itself.
The feature defines whether plugins are installed as jars or folders by the looks of it. In the feature.xml file there is an "unpack" option for each plugin, which in the manifest editor corresponds to the option "Unpack the plugin archive after installation".
Re: Struggling with PDEBuild and products [message #729601 is a reply to message #728716] Mon, 26 September 2011 15:42 Go to previous message
Martin Skorsky is currently offline Martin SkorskyFriend
are the plug-ins build as Jars?
Or are they installed unpacked or as Jars (packed)?

feature.xml defines this only for the installation.
BTW, there is a property Bundle-Shape for the plug-in manifest, which defines the same. Advantage is: the bundle defines it itself. It is consistent, when the bundle is included in two or more features.
Previous Topic:Concurrency in Builders
Next Topic:Changing the Eclipse version in Target platform
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:27:32 GMT 2024