Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Gemini » Gemini Blueprint and @Autowired(How can I use GB and annotation based DI)
Gemini Blueprint and @Autowired [message #720968] Wed, 31 August 2011 15:26 Go to next message
Nick Padilla is currently offline Nick PadillaFriend
Hello All!

I have been trying to use the @Autowired inside a @Component. The annotations for my @Repository and @PersistentContext work as expected, however the @Autowired object is always NULL. I can see the objects in the ListableBeanFactory and can get at the objects using the ServiceLocator pattern. I am using Eclipse Indigo to build an RCP application and have integrated Spring 3.0.6 with Eclipse Gemini 1.0.0. Everything is working as expected, minus the ability to use @Autowired. I am guessing the problem lies in how I am attempting to use the annotation. I am trying to add it to an object that extends org.eclipse.core.runtime.PlatformObject, from my understanding Eclipse uses reflection to create some objects; could that be the problem? I am also using SpringWeaver 1.0.3, i had to do some work on the 1.0.2 version to get it working with the new environment. Weaving is working as expected, so does Lazy loading; just wanted to put that out there.

Is my assumption correct? Is there any way to get annotations working with the Eclipse RCP front end? Here are the relevant files:

Attached is the applicationContext.xml, couldn't add it to the post since I am not allowed to post links, even if they are in code tags.

Here is the java class that is trying to take advantage of the available DI:

@Component
public class MyModel extends PlatformObject {

@Autowired
	private ICustomerDAO customerDAO;// = ServiceLocator.locateCurrent(ICustomerDAO.class);

public MyModel() {

}

public Object getRoot() {
        return this;
    }

public List<Customer> getCustomers() {
        try {
        	List<Customer> customers = customerDAO.find(0,100);
            return customers;
        } catch (Throwable e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
            return new ArrayList<Customer>();
        }
    }
}

This is how the above class is trying to get created:

@Component
public class MyView extends ViewPart {
	public static final String ID = "com.monstersoftwarellc.goldrush.view";

public static Logger LOG = Logger.getLogger(MyView.class);

@Autowired
	private MyModel myModel;

private IAdapterFactory modelFactory = new ModelAdapterFactory();
    private IAdapterFactory customerFactory = new CustomerAdapterFactory();
    private IAdapterFactory titleFactory = new TransactionAdapterFactory();

private TreeViewer viewer;

class ViewContentProvider extends BaseWorkbenchContentProvider {
        private DeferredTreeContentManager manager;

@SuppressWarnings("deprecation")
		public void inputChanged(Viewer viewer, Object oldInput, Object newInput) {
            manager = new DeferredTreeContentManager(this, (AbstractTreeViewer) viewer);
        }

public Object[] getChildren(Object parentElement) {
            return manager.getChildren(parentElement);
        }

public boolean hasChildren(Object element) {
            return manager.mayHaveChildren(element);
        }
    }

public void createPartControl(Composite parent) {

IAdapterManager adapterManager = Platform.getAdapterManager();
        adapterManager.registerAdapters(modelFactory, MyModel.class);
        adapterManager.registerAdapters(customerFactory, Customer.class);
        adapterManager.registerAdapters(titleFactory, POSEntry.class);

viewer = new TreeViewer(parent, SWT.MULTI | SWT.H_SCROLL | SWT.V_SCROLL);
        viewer.setContentProvider(new ViewContentProvider());
        viewer.setLabelProvider(new WorkbenchLabelProvider());

viewer.setInput(myModel.getRoot());
    }

public void setFocus() {
        viewer.getControl().setFocus();
    }

@Override
    public void dispose() {
        IAdapterManager adapterManager = Platform.getAdapterManager();
        adapterManager.unregisterAdapters(modelFactory);    
        adapterManager.unregisterAdapters(customerFactory);
        adapterManager.unregisterAdapters(titleFactory);
        super.dispose();
    }

Here is the error that is being thrown when attempting to load MyView, by the RCP framework.

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.monstersoftwarellc.goldrush.MyView.createPartControl(MyView.java:69)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPartHelper(ViewReference.java:375)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ViewReference.createPart(ViewReference.java:229)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:595)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Perspective.showFastView(Perspective.java:2171)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Perspective.setActiveFastView(Perspective.java:1939)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Perspective.setActiveFastView(Perspective.java:1952)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Perspective.toggleFastView(Perspective.java:2367)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.toggleFastView(WorkbenchPage.java:3972)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ShowFastViewContribution.showView(ShowFastViewContribution.java:157)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ShowFastViewContribution.access$1(ShowFastViewContribution.java:155)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ShowFastViewContribution$3.widgetSelected(ShowFastViewContribution.java:138)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:240)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1258)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3588)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3209)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2696)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2660)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2494)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:674)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:667)
	at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
	at com.monstersoftwarellc.goldrush.Application.start(Application.java:25)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:344)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:622)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:577)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1410)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1386)

Here is the start up log:

Configuration location:
    file:/media/Data/workspaces/GoldRushStore/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/goldrush.product/
Configuration file:
    file:/media/Data/workspaces/GoldRushStore/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/goldrush.product/config.ini loaded
Install location:
    file:/media/Data/workspaces/GoldRushStore/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.bundle_pool/
Framework located:
    file:/media/Data/workspaces/GoldRushStore/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.bundle_pool/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.7.0.v20110613.jar
Loading extension: org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.hook
	eclipse.properties not found
Framework classpath:
    file:/media/Data/workspaces/GoldRushStore/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.bundle_pool/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.7.0.v20110613.jar
    file:/media/Data/workspaces/GoldRushStore/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.bundle_pool/plugins/
    file:/media/Data/workspaces/GoldRushStore/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.bundle_pool/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.hook_1.0.100.v20110502.jar
Splash location:
    /media/Data/workspaces/GoldRushStore/GoldRush/splash.bmp
Debug options:
    file:/media/Data/workspaces/GoldRushStore/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/goldrush.product/.options loaded

osgi> Time to load bundles: 14
Aug 31, 2011 9:07:55 AM org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender.internal.boot.ChainActivator <init>
INFO: Blueprint API detected; enabling Blueprint Container functionality
Aug 31, 2011 9:07:55 AM org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender.internal.activator.ContextLoaderListener start
INFO: Starting [org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender] bundle v.[1.0.0.RELEASE]
Aug 31, 2011 9:07:55 AM org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender.internal.support.ExtenderConfiguration <init>
INFO: No custom extender configuration detected; using defaults...
Aug 31, 2011 9:07:55 AM org.springframework.scheduling.timer.TimerTaskExecutor afterPropertiesSet
INFO: Initializing Timer
Aug 31, 2011 9:07:55 AM org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender.internal.activator.ContextLoaderListener start
INFO: Starting [org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender] bundle v.[1.0.0.RELEASE]
Aug 31, 2011 9:07:55 AM org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender.internal.support.ExtenderConfiguration <init>
INFO: No custom extender configuration detected; using defaults...
Aug 31, 2011 9:07:55 AM org.springframework.scheduling.timer.TimerTaskExecutor afterPropertiesSet
INFO: Initializing Timer
Starting application: 1386
Aug 31, 2011 9:07:55 AM org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender.support.DefaultOsgiApplicationContextCreator createApplicationContext
INFO: Discovered configurations {osgibundle:/META-INF/spring/*.xml} in bundle [GoldRush (com.monstersoftwarellc.goldrush;singleton:=true)]
Aug 31, 2011 9:07:55 AM org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext prepareRefresh
INFO: Refreshing OsgiBundleXmlApplicationContext(bundle=com.monstersoftwarellc.goldrush, config=osgibundle:/META-INF/spring/*.xml): startup date [Wed Aug 31 09:07:55 MDT 2011]; root of context hierarchy
Aug 31, 2011 9:07:55 AM org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.context.support.AbstractOsgiBundleApplicationContext unpublishContextAsOsgiService
INFO: Application Context service already unpublished
Aug 31, 2011 9:07:55 AM org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader loadBeanDefinitions
INFO: Loading XML bean definitions from URL [bundleentry://1398.fwk1134979151/META-INF/spring/applicationContext.xml]
Aug 31, 2011 9:08:08 AM org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor stageOne
INFO: No outstanding OSGi service dependencies, completing initialization for OsgiBundleXmlApplicationContext(bundle=com.monstersoftwarellc.goldrush, config=osgibundle:/META-INF/spring/*.xml)
Aug 31, 2011 9:08:08 AM org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory preInstantiateSingletons
INFO: Pre-instantiating singletons in org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory@1405ac5f: defining beans [dataSource,entityManagerFactory,transactionManager,defaultTransactionTemplate,requireNewTransactionTemplate,serviceLocator,org.springframework.aop.config.internalAutoProxyCreator,org.springframework.transaction.annotation.AnnotationTransactionAttributeSource#0,org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor#0,org.springframework.transaction.config.internalTransactionAdvisor,org.springframework.context.annotation.internalConfigurationAnnotationProcessor,org.springframework.context.annotation.internalAutowiredAnnotationProcessor,org.springframework.context.annotation.internalRequiredAnnotationProcessor,org.springframework.context.annotation.internalCommonAnnotationProcessor,org.springframework.context.annotation.internalPersistenceAnnotationProcessor,myModel,customerDAO,employeeDAO,transactionDAO,myView]; root of factory hierarchy
Aug 31, 2011 9:08:09 AM org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.DriverManagerDataSource setDriverClassName
INFO: Loaded JDBC driver: org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
Aug 31, 2011 9:08:10 AM org.springframework.orm.jpa.LocalContainerEntityManagerFactoryBean createNativeEntityManagerFactory
INFO: Building JPA container EntityManagerFactory for persistence unit 'goldrush'
transformer added; Standard ClassFileTransformer wrapping JPA transformer: org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.weaving.PersistenceWeaver@3e30e173
Aug 31, 2011 9:08:28 AM org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.context.support.AbstractOsgiBundleApplicationContext publishContextAsOsgiServiceIfNecessary
INFO: Publishing application context as OSGi service with properties {org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.context.service.name=com.monstersoftwarellc.goldrush, org.springframework.context.service.name=com.monstersoftwarellc.goldrush, Bundle-SymbolicName=com.monstersoftwarellc.goldrush, Bundle-Version=1.0.0.qualifier}
Aug 31, 2011 9:08:28 AM org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender.internal.support.DefaultOsgiBundleApplicationContextListener onOsgiApplicationEvent
INFO: Application context successfully refreshed (OsgiBundleXmlApplicationContext(bundle=com.monstersoftwarellc.goldrush, config=osgibundle:/META-INF/spring/*.xml))
Application Started: 45553

Please let me know what I am doing wrong, or if this is just a current limitation of the frameworks. If so is there a work around to get this working using annotations? If any more details are needed please let me know.
Re: Gemini Blueprint and @Autowired [message #723829 is a reply to message #720968] Fri, 09 September 2011 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Padilla is currently offline Nick PadillaFriend
Hello All,

Just an FYI, I was able to use @Autowired on a @Service class, but still had to use the ServiceLocator to get at the @Service; since I am trying to use it in RCP extended classes. This means that the problems lie in how the
view is being created on RCP side, still haven't had time to really get into this to find a solution but plan on it as soon as possible. Any other ideas or suggestions would be welcome!
Re: Gemini Blueprint and @Autowired [message #727361 is a reply to message #723829] Wed, 21 September 2011 05:07 Go to previous message
Miro Mising name is currently offline Miro Mising nameFriend
Hi Nick,

If you haven't resolved the @Autowired issue for RCP just try to add the compiled classes to your classpath. Open bundle MANIFEST.MF -> Runtime and then in the Classpath use the Add button to add the folder containing your
compiled classes. I had the same problem and this solved it for me. It seems like a PDE problem when running Spring DM/Gemini within Eclipse. Your applicationContext looks alright.
Previous Topic:Establish Connection using sql server with eclipse Helios
Next Topic:Tomcat server embedded in OSGI responds only to http://localhost:8080
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:16:26 GMT 2024