Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse debugger freezes during "step over"
Eclipse debugger freezes during "step over" [message #718641] Wed, 24 August 2011 23:01 Go to next message
Cory Burkhardt is currently offline Cory BurkhardtFriend
I never used to have this problem, but in the last year or so the Eclipse debugger has started freezing when I try to step over certain lines of code. In the Debug view, it lists the thread and says it is "Stepping". I suspend all threads on break, so all other threads in the list say "Suspended". When this happens, I can pause the debugger and it will break inside of some JRE code. I can then set a break point on the following line, click resume and then it does resume properly and break on the next line, and then stepping works again. The fact that I can do this indicates to me that this isn't a threading issue in my code. And I believe that all threads are supposed to resume when I try to step until it breaks, so it shouldn't be an issue with the fact that the other threads are suspended. This is a major annoyance and is inhibiting in some scenarios.

A second similar issue that I have involves the expressions view. Occasionally, when I add a new expression, the debugger will hang, and the active thread is now labeled "Evaluating". When this happens, I cannot pause or remove the expression or do anything to get the debugger to resume. It completely destroys my debug session.

Does anybody know what might be the cause of these problems?
Re: Eclipse debugger freezes during "step over" [message #719085 is a reply to message #718641] Fri, 26 August 2011 02:47 Go to previous message
Satyam Kandula is currently offline Satyam KandulaFriend
Do you have any conditional breakpoints? That could cause slowdown of a step over.
Previous Topic:Eclipse Bug
Next Topic:Increase Java Heap size
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 10:29:46 GMT 2024