Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Riena » how to get started with Riena 3.0
how to get started with Riena 3.0 [message #717841] Mon, 22 August 2011 13:54 Go to next message
Andrew Wiles is currently offline Andrew WilesFriend
hi all,
i am new to Riena 3.0 and have no prior knowledge of Eclipse RCP.
any suggestions on how can i get started with Riena 3.0?
i did some search over google, while most of the results are about Riena 1.0.
I'm only a bit familar with J2SE.
Is Riena 3.0 suitable for gui programming?
if not, any ?

Thanks

Andrew
Re: how to get started with Riena 3.0 [message #717853 is a reply to message #717841] Mon, 22 August 2011 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Campo is currently offline Christian CampoFriend
Am 22.08.11 15:54, schrieb chenshx:
> hi all,
> i am new to Riena 3.0 and have no prior knowledge of Eclipse RCP.
> any suggestions on how can i get started with Riena 3.0?
> i did some search over google, while most of the results are about Riena 1.0.
> I'm only a bit familar with J2SE.
> Is Riena 3.0 suitable for gui programming?
> if not, any ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrew
>
hi andrew,

did you look into the current Riena Wiki (http://wiki.eclipse.org/riena) ? There you find "Getting started"
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php?title=Riena/GettingStarted

That should help you with the next steps....

christian
Re: how to get started with Riena 3.0 [message #718179 is a reply to message #717853] Tue, 23 August 2011 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi christian,
thanks for ur quick reply.
actualy i had read the "getting started", but there are still some confusion.
need i have prior knowledge of Eclipse RCP or Plug-in Development to get started?

thanks
Andrew
Re: how to get started with Riena 3.0 [message #718196 is a reply to message #718179] Tue, 23 August 2011 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Am 23.08.11 16:05, schrieb chenshx:
> hi christian,
> thanks for ur quick reply.
> actualy i had read the "getting started", but there are still some confusion.
> need i have prior knowledge of Eclipse RCP or Plug-in Development to get started?
>
> thanks
> Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Riena is a client/server framework based on top of Eclipse technology. Like many other Eclipse projects its very helpful
if you understand what a Plug-in is (how to create one) and what OSGi is and what RCP is.

Riena is more than RCP but its really hard to understand if you have never worked with RCP before and have only a little
bit of knowledge about Java.

But I guess that is true for many Eclipse projects. What projects in Eclipse did you look at and what brought you to Riena ?

christian
Re: how to get started with Riena 3.0 [message #718513 is a reply to message #718196] Wed, 24 August 2011 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi christian,
i have been searching a java desktop application framework, so that i can quickly build some applications upon it, as i do not want to do it from scratch and reinvent the wheel.
for the application framework, my concerns are as follows
1.user-friendly interface
it should NOT be hard to build a good looking app.it would be better if it can be done by xml configuration.
2.not steep learning curve
the learning curve of that framework is not sharp.
3.completeness
my apps will involve many data-displaying tasks,that is, reading data from a backend database and then displaying them in a data grid or a chart, i hope there are some data grid componets out-of-the-box.

thanks

Andrew
Re: how to get started with Riena 3.0 [message #718720 is a reply to message #718513] Thu, 25 August 2011 07:06 Go to previous message
Am 24.08.11 17:07, schrieb Andrew:
hi andrew,
> hi christian,
> i have been searching a java desktop application framework, so that i can quickly build some applications upon it, as i
> do not want to do it from scratch and reinvent the wheel.
> for the application framework, my concerns are as follows
> 1.user-friendly interface
> it should NOT be hard to build a good looking app.it would be better if it can be done by xml configuration.
Riena is built for making user-friendly interfaces. Some aspects can be defined in the assembly which is an extension
point. So it is XML. However you still have to code stuff and Riena has a pretty fixed setup for what UI looks like. You
still can define colors and themes, logos and stuff, but i.e. the navigation is always on the left and the
subapplication switcher is on the top. If that fits with you, then good.
> 2.not steep learning curve
> the learning curve of that framework is not sharp.
Depends really on your background. Riena is built on RCP. So it requires that you already know Java, SWT, RCP you know
what the MVC pattern (Model View Controller pattern). All this is pretty standard and nothing Riena invented. Then you
be able to benefit from the additions that Riena put on top.
3.completeness
> my apps will involve many data-displaying tasks,that is, reading data from a backend database and then displaying them
> in a data grid or a chart, i hope there are some data grid componets out-of-the-box.
Riena has little to no own widgets. It uses widgets from SWT (i.e. the table) or from Nebula (the CompositeTable and
maybe soon the Grid) but it has no Grid widgets. You can certainly use these components in Riena and Riena has remote
services support so you can get data from the backend and easily display in a form that is in an RCP view. But you have
to write code for that.... :-)
>
> thanks
>
> Andrew
>
christian
Previous Topic:EclipseCon Europe
Next Topic:Does Riena make sense without SWT?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 15:26:42 GMT 2024