Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Save/Restore of 3.x views in E4
Save/Restore of 3.x views in E4 [message #714581] Wed, 10 August 2011 23:41
Barry Maturkanich is currently offline Barry MaturkanichFriend
Hi I am researching what it will take to get our Eclipse 3.x RCP application running on e4.

I have been able to successfully get the application mostly running on e4 using the compatibility layer with very little code changes.

My big problem however is that I have not been able to determine if the compat-layer supports restore/save of 3.x view parts using the old IMemento pattern.

Questions:

1) Is there any possible way to restore an existing saved 3.x workbench state using the e4 compat-layer?

2) Does the compat-layer support save/restore of 3.x views in an e4 workspace? If I create a fresh e4 workspace will the compat-layer be able to save/restore 3.x ViewParts which are still using the IMemento pattern?

3) Our 3.x application is admittedly not API-clean. Specifically we really needed the ability to manually call Workbench.restoreState/saveState without having to shutdown the workbench. Really we wanted to save multiple "snapshots" of various states of the workbench during run time and return to any of them at any time.

Others have wanted this too as seen in bugs 151801, 287308, 214974. Anyway we ended up using unclean java to force call these workbench methods even though they are not API public. Going forward, is there any possible way to manually trigger a saving or restoring of snapshots of the workbench state in e4?

Thanks guys.
Previous Topic:[E4XMI Editor] Find Contribution Class Dialog
Next Topic:org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi.PackageNotFoundException: Package with uri 'http://www.eclipse.org/ui/2008
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:33:18 GMT 2024