Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Eclipse does not stop at breakpoint
Eclipse does not stop at breakpoint [message #75594] Thu, 10 July 2008 14:00 Go to next message
Klaus Kaal is currently offline Klaus KaalFriend
Messages: 5
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
I am working on Joomla! plugins and this worked fine with PDT (xdebug).

Suddenly (I have no idea what I could have done that this happens), it
stops at the breakpoints in the index.php, but it ignores all my other
breakpoints in other files.

How can I find the reason?

Thanks for your help.
Re: Eclipse does not stop at breakpoint [message #75612 is a reply to message #75594] Thu, 10 July 2008 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
D Kelsey is currently offline D KelseyFriend
Messages: 232
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
get an xdebug remote log output by adding
xdebug.remote_log=(log file)
in your INI file where (log file) is the name of a file where you want to capture the log file.

Also check the path mapping for your server (PHP Servers in PHP preferences in PDT) and see if
anything looks amiss.

Dave Kelsey

kkaal wrote:
> I am working on Joomla! plugins and this worked fine with PDT (xdebug).
>
> Suddenly (I have no idea what I could have done that this happens), it
> stops at the breakpoints in the index.php, but it ignores all my other
> breakpoints in other files.
>
> How can I find the reason?
>
> Thanks for your help.
Re: Eclipse does not stop at breakpoint [message #75629 is a reply to message #75612] Thu, 10 July 2008 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klaus Kaal is currently offline Klaus KaalFriend
Messages: 5
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Thanks Dave,

your hints helped quite a bit.

What I saw in the log is, that the breakpoints are set at program start. I
checked the server pathes and they seem to be ok.

But:
when I start debugging, it calls the index.php (correct) and stops at line
one(correct). Next it stops at line in index.php (correct). Then it
renders the page.

The trouble starts when I click a link or so. This link again calls the
index.php. But then the debugger does not stop at any of my breakpoints.
But it builds the page nicely.

Does that make sense to you?

Thanks
Klaus
Re: Eclipse does not stop at breakpoint [message #75663 is a reply to message #75629] Fri, 11 July 2008 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
D Kelsey is currently offline D KelseyFriend
Messages: 232
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
One thought, xdebug uses a cookie to ensure that debug continues for each request until you tell
xdebug to turn off the cookie (which is done when you terminate the Web launch debug session). Does
your browser accept cookies ?

Dave Kelsey

kkaal wrote:
> Thanks Dave,
>
> your hints helped quite a bit.
>
> What I saw in the log is, that the breakpoints are set at program start.
> I checked the server pathes and they seem to be ok.
>
> But:
> when I start debugging, it calls the index.php (correct) and stops at
> line one(correct). Next it stops at line in index.php (correct). Then it
> renders the page.
>
> The trouble starts when I click a link or so. This link again calls the
> index.php. But then the debugger does not stop at any of my breakpoints.
> But it builds the page nicely.
>
> Does that make sense to you?
>
> Thanks
> Klaus
>
Re: Eclipse does not stop at breakpoint [message #75679 is a reply to message #75629] Fri, 11 July 2008 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sean Burlington is currently offline Sean BurlingtonFriend
Messages: 18
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
kkaal wrote:
> when I start debugging, it calls the index.php (correct) and stops at
> line one(correct). Next it stops at line in index.php (correct). Then it
> renders the page.
>
> The trouble starts when I click a link or so. This link again calls the
> index.php. But then the debugger does not stop at any of my breakpoints.
> But it builds the page nicely.

the debug dialog has an option on the advanced tab

debug all pages - or first page only

It could be that you have the second option set.

If the debugger isn't stopping where I expect it to I usually find:


* the program isn't following the sequence I expect
(set an early breakpoint and step through or a later one and look at
the stack)

* the session cookie has been lost
(start another debug session)

* I've put the breakpoint on a comment or blank line
(doh!)

I've found the debugger to be very reliable (and invaluable)

--

Sean Burlington
www.practicalweb.co.uk
Re: Eclipse does not stop at breakpoint [message #75696 is a reply to message #75679] Fri, 11 July 2008 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
D Kelsey is currently offline D KelseyFriend
Messages: 232
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
The XDebug implementation doesn't make use of those items on the advanced tab. They are only
applicable to the Zend Debugger.

Regards
Dave Kelsey


Sean Burlington wrote:
> kkaal wrote:
>> when I start debugging, it calls the index.php (correct) and stops at
>> line one(correct). Next it stops at line in index.php (correct). Then
>> it renders the page.
>>
>> The trouble starts when I click a link or so. This link again calls
>> the index.php. But then the debugger does not stop at any of my
>> breakpoints. But it builds the page nicely.
>
> the debug dialog has an option on the advanced tab
>
> debug all pages - or first page only
>
> It could be that you have the second option set.
>
> If the debugger isn't stopping where I expect it to I usually find:
>
>
> * the program isn't following the sequence I expect
> (set an early breakpoint and step through or a later one and look at
> the stack)
>
> * the session cookie has been lost
> (start another debug session)
>
> * I've put the breakpoint on a comment or blank line
> (doh!)
>
> I've found the debugger to be very reliable (and invaluable)
>
Re: Eclipse does not stop at breakpoint [message #77930 is a reply to message #75663] Sat, 09 August 2008 16:26 Go to previous message
Keath Milligan is currently offline Keath MilliganFriend
Messages: 38
Registered: July 2009
Member
One thing that gets me a lot is that there a lot of "invalid" places
where you set breakpoints. You can put the dot there in the IDE, but the
debugger won't stop at it:

* blank/non-code lines
* on switch statements
* in some types of callbacks (for example, preg_replace)

Also, and I run into this Drupal every now and then, with CMS's, there
are lot of caching behaviors to take into account and sometimes a piece
of code doesn't get run when you think it is. As a sanity-check, I add
error_log("got here") statements and tail the httpd error log sometimes
just to make sure.
Previous Topic:PDT Road map
Next Topic:Eclipse 3.4 with pdt 2.0 freezes
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Feb 22 19:12:44 GMT 2024

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02459 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top