Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Using MinGW (not Cygwin) with Photran--can I simply rename/ copy mingw32-make.exe to "make.exe&
Using MinGW (not Cygwin) with Photran--can I simply rename/ copy mingw32-make.exe to "make.exe& [message #711588] Sat, 06 August 2011 10:53 Go to next message
Kevin  is currently offline Kevin Friend
I'm a new Eclipse user and plan to gain proficiency in Fortran for scientific computing using the Photran package.

Just trying to get my setup configured properly now. I run Windows 7 32-bit, successfully installed Eclipse, and am now writing my "Hello world" program according to the procedure described here: http colon slash slash wiki.eclipse.org/PTP/photran/documentation/photran7#Starting_a_Project_with_an_Auto-Generated_Makefile

When I saved my source code and opened the Console view, I was told there were no consoles to display. So I poked around a bit and decided the proper thing to do was to choose "Build All" from the "Project" menu. The console output is shown below:

**** Build of configuration Debug for project HelloFortran ****

make all

Cannot run program "make": Launching failed
Error: Program "make" is not found in PATH

PATH=[C:\Tcl\bin;C:\Program Files\AMD APP\bin\x86;C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2010b\bin;C:\strawberry\c\bin;C:\strawberry\perl\site\bin;C:\strawberry\perl\bin;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Pandoc\bin;C:\FORTRAN\g95\bin]

**** Build Finished ****

This leads me to these questions:

1) I added the path C:\MinGW\bin\ to my PATH earlier today, and I checked afterwards to make sure it is still there. So it looks like that path is not picked up by Eclipse, or perhaps there is another PATH variable I don't know about. Could someone please clarify for me? (To change my PATH, I do the following: 1) right-clicked Computer; 2) Advanced System Settings; 3) Environment Variables; 3) edit "Path" variable in the System Variables pane.)

2) Once I sort problem (1) out, it looks like I may still have the same problem, since the MinGW programs are named "mingw32-make.exe", "mingw32-gfortran.exe", etc. What is the proper way to show Eclipse the way to the file it needs? Just copy and rename the binary to "make.exe" in the same directory? Or is there an Eclipse/Photran setting I can change?

Thanks in advance.
Kevin
Re: Using MinGW (not Cygwin) with Photran--can I simply rename/ copy mingw32-make.exe to "m [message #711770 is a reply to message #711588] Sat, 06 August 2011 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

You'll get more and better help with this on the Eclipse CDT forum instead.

On 2011.08.06 4:53, Kevin wrote:
> I'm a new Eclipse user and plan to gain proficiency in Fortran for
> scientific computing using the Photran package.
>
> [snip]
Re: Using MinGW (not Cygwin) with Photran--can I simply rename/ copy mingw32-make.exe to "m [message #712459 is a reply to message #711770] Sun, 07 August 2011 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, thanks for the reply. Will do. Cheers.
Re: Using MinGW (not Cygwin) with Photran--can I simply rename/ copy mingw32-make.exe to "make. [message #712680 is a reply to message #711588] Sun, 07 August 2011 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johngorno is currently offline johngornoFriend
I just spent at least six hours wrestling with this damn problem and I stumbled on a solution. Like everybody else, I was trying to build the "Hello World" sample and was getting "error "program "make" is not found in path"" -- Nothing I did helped: Eclipse had decided that make.exe was in a particular Default Folder, and I couldn't change its mind! I changed Eclipse's Project -> C/C++ -> Build -> environment PATH for that configuration, my Windows Path variable, but the error message kept giving me the same damn wrong (Default) PATH! (I have a prior installation of Cygwin, and maybe they've changed the default \bin\ location?) (This also caused a "file.h not found" and cascading unrecognized function call errors...)

Here's what worked: I changed my Windows Path (Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables), then, in Eclipse's Project -> C/C++ -> Discovery options, clicked the CLEAR button (which SHOULD erase its memory of the old Path), then, before Building, I had to close and restart Eclipse for it to actually do so and see the change in the Windows Path variable! It still stubbornly lists the wrong Default Folder, but it works. To be on the safe side, I did the same Clearing process in the Eclipse window properties -> New CDT Project Wizard -> Makefile -> Discovery Options, and a new project can find make... (sarcasm) I didn't even have to restart Eclipse this time. This fix may be necessary for every separate project type.

Gorno

[Updated on: Sun, 07 August 2011 16:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Using MinGW (not Cygwin) with Photran--can I simply rename/ copy mingw32-make.exe to "make. [message #713026 is a reply to message #712680] Mon, 08 August 2011 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johngorno,

Thanks for the tips. Before I reposted to another forum as a mod suggested, I gave it one more go and got it working.

I think I may have neglected to try a reboot when I first wrestled with this problem. After restarting, Eclipse was able to read my Windows path (environmental variables setting, as you describe) properly.

I did end up just copying and renaming the "MinGW32-make.exe" to "make.exe"---feels a bit sloppy and I wish it were clearer how to point eclipse to the proper directory. But building/compiling code is relatively foreign to me; I have done coding only in Matlab and the like before. Hopefully some of this makes more sense as I continue to work in the Eclipse environment, which I really like apart from these little issues.

Thanks.
Re: Using MinGW (not Cygwin) with Photran--can I simply rename/ copy mingw32-make.exe to "m [message #714427 is a reply to message #713026] Wed, 10 August 2011 14:00 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
On 8/7/11 10:38 PM, Kevin wrote:
> Johngorno,
>
> Thanks for the tips. Before I reposted to another forum as a mod
> suggested, I gave it one more go and got it working.
>
> I think I may have neglected to try a reboot when I first wrestled with
> this problem. After restarting, Eclipse was able to read my Windows path
> (environmental variables setting, as you describe) properly.
>
> I did end up just copying and renaming the "MinGW32-make.exe" to
> "make.exe"---feels a bit sloppy and I wish it were clearer how to point
> eclipse to the proper directory. But building/compiling code is
> relatively foreign to me; I have done coding only in Matlab and the like
> before. Hopefully some of this makes more sense as I continue to work in
> the Eclipse environment, which I really like apart from these little
> issues.

Note that questions specific to C/C++ should go to the CDT forum group;
questions specific to Photran should go to the Photran mailing list
(http://www.eclipse.org/photran/mailinglists.php).

If you're looking for the "correct" way to solve problems with those
tools, those are the places to ask. Not many C/C++ gurus and probably no
Photran gurus hang out in this particular forum group.

Eric
Previous Topic:Build a GUI
Next Topic:Ant Script for eclipse e4 application
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:13:42 GMT 2024