Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse 3.6.x + Ubuntu equals 100% CPU?(Eclipse on Ubuntu is a CPU hungry beast)
Eclipse 3.6.x + Ubuntu equals 100% CPU? [message #709326] Wed, 03 August 2011 19:50 Go to next message
Onno van der Straaten is currently offline Onno van der StraatenFriend
Hi,
I was just wondering if there are others that experience a lot of CPU problems when running Eclipse on Ubuntu.

I'm using Eclipse 3.6.x on Ubuntu 11.04 (natty) btw for Ruby/Rails development using RadRails plugin.

;?

index.php/fa/3558/0/

[Updated on: Wed, 03 August 2011 20:13]

Report message to a moderator

(no subject) [message #709349 is a reply to message #709326] Wed, 03 August 2011 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 03-Aug-11 13:50, Onno van der Straaten wrote:
> Hi,
> I was just wondering if there are others that experience a lot of CPU problems when running Eclipse on Ubuntu.
>
> I'm using Eclipse 3.6.x on Ubuntu 11.04 (natty) btw for Ruby/Rails development using RadRails plugin.
>
> Today it is a building workspace that wants 100% CPU. The workaround is to checkout a new project from Subversion. That will allow on average I think an hour of effective work.
>
> But I have experienced a lot of CPU problems in other corners of Eclipse too. For example when doing a Subversion commit suddenly after a few good commits it wants 100% CPU. I have to recreate a project to continue effective work.
>
> I have tried to abondon Eclipse a few times but failed to come up with good alternatives. I tried VIM but found it too basic. I tried RubyMine but found it too different.
>
> I have already fixed the 100% CPU as reported here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eclipse/+bug/334991. Of course that one really needed a fix/workaround because it would not allow 'any' effective work.
>
> It makes me wonder. Is Eclipse on Ubuntu maybe the wrong idea? Is it supported? Should I abandon Eclipse or Ubuntu? I don't seem to get it working fine for me. Too much time is wasted fixing or working around the many many CPU problems. This is just not an effective development environment anymore

I've used Eclipse on Ubuntu (Karmic - Maverick) for 18+ months now, on
openSuSE 10.x for 30 months before that, and on Windows off and on for 6
years (occasionally even today, though I eschew that sort of thing).
I've use Eclipse Europa through Helios except for Ganymede (which I
never liked).

I've used Subversion in the flavors of Subclipse (Ubuntu) and Subversive
(on openSuSE). I'm presently using Git (but not EGit), but at home I use
Subversion/Subclipse.

Eclipse has been my main IDE, so I run it all the hours of my workday.
At home I also run it on Lucid whenever I do work there.

Most of my Linux-hosted work has been on Intel i5 processors with 8Gb of
memory. I left openSuSE running 32-bit, but I've always run 64-bit on
Ubuntu. I've always run GNOME.

(I've been running Natty for 3 months, but only as an
Apache/MySQL/Mongo/Tomcat/Git back-end server with no GNOME, so I'm not
running Eclipse there.)

I don't do Ruby/Rails. I do Java, JEE, web applications, Android and
dabbled in BlackBerry.

I have not ever experienced any of the problems you mention including
the bug in the link you referenced.
(no subject) [message #711013 is a reply to message #709326] Fri, 05 August 2011 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

On 8/3/2011 3:50 PM, Onno van der Straaten wrote:
> I was just wondering if there are others that experience a lot of CPU problems when running Eclipse on Ubuntu.
>
> I'm using Eclipse 3.6.x on Ubuntu 11.04 (natty) btw for Ruby/Rails development using RadRails plugin.
>
> Today it is a building workspace that wants 100% CPU. The workaround is to checkout a new project from Subversion. That will allow on average I think an hour of effective work.

There's always the possibility that this is specific to the RadRails
plug-in you mention, or the New Wave theme mentioned in the Ubuntu bug.
Not using either of them, I generally don't see this issue.

--
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse WTP Source Editing and JSDT
IBM Rational

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
(no subject) [message #714136 is a reply to message #709326] Tue, 09 August 2011 21:37 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Have you seen the "sticky" topic at the top of this forum group about
Linux+Eclipse?

Eric

On 8/3/11 3:50 PM, Onno van der Straaten wrote:
> Hi,
>
>
>
> But I have experienced a lot of CPU problems in other corners of Eclipse too. For example when doing a Subversion commit suddenly after a few good commits it wants 100% CPU. I have to recreate a project to continue effective work.
>
> I have tried to abondon Eclipse a few times but failed to come up with good alternatives. I tried VIM but found it too basic. I tried RubyMine but found it too different.
>
> I have already fixed the 100% CPU as reported here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eclipse/+bug/334991. Of course that one really needed a fix/workaround because it would not allow 'any' effective work.
>
> It makes me wonder. Is Eclipse on Ubuntu maybe the wrong idea? Is it supported? Should I abandon Eclipse or Ubuntu? I don't seem to get it working fine for me. Too much time is wasted fixing or working around the many many CPU problems. This is just not an effective development environment anymore
>
> ;?
>
>
Previous Topic:HTML5 WYSIWYG plugin or editor needed
Next Topic:package and imported classes not identified
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:04:28 GMT 2024