Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Strange things with plugin deployment(SEGFAULT on Windows)
Strange things with plugin deployment [message #703697] Wed, 27 July 2011 20:42
Hugues  ass is currently offline Hugues assFriend
I'm currently developing a plugin for Eclipse based on a C++ library, through JNI calls. The C++ library is a long-time development in my team and we have a lot of confidence on it (but I'm aware of persisting bugs).

When launched from the plugin development eclipse instance, the plugin works very well and no problem arises. But, once it has been deployed in dropins (because Windows .DLL dependencies), it starts nicely but after a short time, Eclipse closes without any comment even if started from console.

To debug, I have launched Eclipse from MINGW gdb. The first strange things comes from the fact that Eclipse causes a lot of SEGFAULT during its startup (and before y plugin is launched). I can't debug anymore as Eclipse debugging information has been removed from its libraries, I guess. Finally, after a long list of SEGFAULT, a crash arises but out of my JNI function. During several run I've done, there was one moment when all works fine (even if SEGFAULT remain.

Then, I have removed my plugin from the dropins directory to test Eclipse without. Yet, a lot of SEGFAULT arise that are ignored by Eclipse but no crash was stated. I continue my investigation guessing if the SEGFAULT comes Eclipse or JVM. I wrote a simple Java program, compile it and run it with Java under GDB. The program executes gracefully and no SEGFAULT was produced: SEGFAULT does not come from JVM.

I'm not sure but it seems to me that the SEGFAULT caused by Eclipse (alone) are not very safe and that a subtle interaction exists between Eclipse and my plugin causing this crash. I am now looking for documentation or information to explain this or to continue my investigation ...

Thank you in advance.

Previous Topic:Job serialization question
Next Topic:sorry
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:14:08 GMT 2024