Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » utf-8
utf-8 [message #72500] Wed, 04 June 2008 11:46 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: leonardo.saracini.tiscali.it

I'm developping in utf8 in a simple mode:
I store in DB using utf8 table with utf8 connection and write in editor
direct in utf8.

So my web page are in utf-8 and I have not trouble with realize a multi
language site.
Im using a Opensource esitor Notepad++ on windows plus my server ubuntu to
simulate on my local lan my web sites.
Notepad++ report the type of text codeding of a file and I can change UTF8
to ISO and ISO to UTF8 with no problem.

If I use PDT can I write in utf8 using your editor? Can I changhe from
ISO to UTF8 or UTF8 to ISO?

Best regards,
Leonardo
Re: utf-8 [message #72524 is a reply to message #72500] Wed, 04 June 2008 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: codeslave.ca.ibm.com

Right-click a project or file, and select the Properties then the
Resource tab. You can manually set the encoding for the project and its
children, or just a single file.

Leonardo wrote:
> I'm developping in utf8 in a simple mode:
> I store in DB using utf8 table with utf8 connection and write in editor
> direct in utf8.
>
> So my web page are in utf-8 and I have not trouble with realize a multi
> language site.
> Im using a Opensource esitor Notepad++ on windows plus my server ubuntu
> to simulate on my local lan my web sites.
> Notepad++ report the type of text codeding of a file and I can change
> UTF8 to ISO and ISO to UTF8 with no problem.
>
> If I use PDT can I write in utf8 using your editor? Can I changhe from
> ISO to UTF8 or UTF8 to ISO?
>
> Best regards,
> Leonardo
>

--
Nick Boldt :: Release Engineer, IBM Toronto Lab
Eclipse Modeling :: http://www.eclipse.org/modeling
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/User:Nickb
Re: utf-8 [message #72542 is a reply to message #72524] Mon, 09 June 2008 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: spam.networks.fi

Here is interesting point: is php5 already fully compatible with utf8 so
you can really code it using utf8? Does interpreter completely
understand utf8 ?

Nick Boldt wrote:
> Right-click a project or file, and select the Properties then the
> Resource tab. You can manually set the encoding for the project and its
> children, or just a single file.
>
> Leonardo wrote:
>> I'm developping in utf8 in a simple mode:
>> I store in DB using utf8 table with utf8 connection and write in
>> editor direct in utf8.
>>
>> So my web page are in utf-8 and I have not trouble with realize a
>> multi language site.
>> Im using a Opensource esitor Notepad++ on windows plus my server
>> ubuntu to simulate on my local lan my web sites.
>> Notepad++ report the type of text codeding of a file and I can change
>> UTF8 to ISO and ISO to UTF8 with no problem.
>>
>> If I use PDT can I write in utf8 using your editor? Can I changhe
>> from ISO to UTF8 or UTF8 to ISO?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Leonardo
>>
>
Re: utf-8 [message #72833 is a reply to message #72542] Wed, 11 June 2008 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: stoyan.amexy.com

Jasmo Hiltula wrote:
> Here is interesting point: is php5 already fully compatible with utf8 so
> you can really code it using utf8? Does interpreter completely
> understand utf8 ?
>
> Nick Boldt wrote:
>> Right-click a project or file, and select the Properties then the
>> Resource tab. You can manually set the encoding for the project and
>> its children, or just a single file.
>>
>> Leonardo wrote:
>>> I'm developping in utf8 in a simple mode:
>>> I store in DB using utf8 table with utf8 connection and write in
>>> editor direct in utf8.
>>>
>>> So my web page are in utf-8 and I have not trouble with realize a
>>> multi language site.
>>> Im using a Opensource esitor Notepad++ on windows plus my server
>>> ubuntu to simulate on my local lan my web sites.
>>> Notepad++ report the type of text codeding of a file and I can change
>>> UTF8 to ISO and ISO to UTF8 with no problem.
>>>
>>> If I use PDT can I write in utf8 using your editor? Can I changhe
>>> from ISO to UTF8 or UTF8 to ISO?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Leonardo
>>>
>>

I use UTF-8 for all my projects and output encoding of sites I make is
UTF-8 too. Not a single issue regarding encodings. However there are
certain quirks and "hidden" things that you have to know to use UTF-8 or
at least I do not know them until I start using this encoding.
Re: utf-8 [message #72887 is a reply to message #72542] Wed, 11 June 2008 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Scylla is currently offline Joe ScyllaFriend
Messages: 3
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Jasmo Hiltula wrote:
> Here is interesting point: is php5 already fully compatible with utf8 so
> you can really code it using utf8? Does interpreter completely
> understand utf8 ?
>
> ...snipped...
>

The bytecode compiler can compile source code using for example chinese
chars for variable and function names. I didn't test class constructs
but that should be also no problem. (tested in php 5.2.x)

All reserved tokens/operators/white space chars using the same single
byte value in ASCII and UTF-8.

Joe
Re: utf-8 [message #72904 is a reply to message #72542] Wed, 11 June 2008 17:16 Go to previous message
Michael Fesser is currently offline Michael FesserFriend
Messages: 16
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
..oO(Jasmo Hiltula)

>Here is interesting point: is php5 already fully compatible with utf8 so
>you can really code it using utf8? Does interpreter completely
>understand utf8 ?

The interpreter has nothing to with that. UTF-8 code compiles and
executes perfectly fine. For PHP a string is just a string, and all the
syntactically important characters and operators are ASCII chars, which
is compatible with UTF-8 encoding.

PHP 5 just doesn't have native UTF-8 support yet, which means that all
string functions work on bytes, not on characters. This is one thing you
have to keep in mind. But usually these issues can be solved by using
the Multibyte extension.

The coming PHP 6 will (hopefully) have full native UTF-8 support.

Micha
Previous Topic:How to get eclipse to open php.file in ie
Next Topic:How to get rid of warnings in console?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Jan 30 11:46:08 GMT 2023

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.16377 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top