Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Dynamic Languages Toolkit (DLTK) » Debug Perspective not triggering on program suspend
Debug Perspective not triggering on program suspend [message #702974] Wed, 27 July 2011 02:15 Go to next message
Timothy Wall is currently offline Timothy WallFriend
I've started implementation of a DBGP interface for my debugger, but I can't seem to get it to trigger the debug perspective when viewing.

I've traced execution comparing with the Ruby IDE up to where the debug suspend event is fired from ScriptThread using DebugEventHelper.fireSuspendEvent(). At that point the ruby IDE pops the "switch perspective?" dialog, but my language IDE does not.

Run/Debug settings show "Debug" perspective selected for my application's launch configuration.

I've looked through the various plugin.xml for perspective and launch-related stuff that might be off, but haven't found anything obvious.

I can manually switch to debug perspective and see the current program state, single step, etc. so that part is working fine.

What's missing to trigger the automatic switch?

(using DLTK 2.0 maintenance branch from CVS)
Re: Debug Perspective not triggering on program suspend [message #706652 is a reply to message #702974] Sun, 31 July 2011 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Timothy Wall is currently offline Timothy WallFriend
Apparently this is standard eclipse behavior. "break on first line" triggers a single step event, which does not normally trigger a perspective change. Using a breakpoing instead of "break on first line" results in the perspective change.

I also overlooked that the "break on first line" appears both in the global preferences and in each run configuration, which was a bit confusing.
Re: Debug Perspective not triggering on program suspend [message #707069 is a reply to message #706652] Mon, 01 August 2011 07:50 Go to previous message
David Largeteau is currently offline David LargeteauFriend
Hi Timothy,

Ensure you have set Perspectives properties "Open the associated perspective when ..." to Always or to Prompt. I had the same problem when these properties were "misteriously" set to Never : it was as if my debugger stopped working !

I also have added a debug perspective shortcut in my Perspective class, like this :
layout.addPerspectiveShortcut("org.eclipse.debug.ui.DebugPerspective");

Regards,

David

[Updated on: Mon, 01 August 2011 13:50]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:TCL - Step Into not working while debugging
Next Topic:Content Assist for methods in custom editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:44:58 GMT 2024