Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Survey: Do you use the built-in html-css tools?
Survey: Do you use the built-in html-css tools? [message #71490] Thu, 22 May 2008 00:08 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Messages: 53
Registered: July 2009
Member
I'm new to eclipse webtools. I've been using bluefish for html and
cssed for css. Before I invest time learning the ins & outs of the
eclipse tools for html/css would you please give me some advice on using
the eclipse tools for html/css vs other tools.

Thanks
R
Re: Survey: Do you use the built-in html-css tools? [message #71809 is a reply to message #71490] Fri, 23 May 2008 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: dcarver.starstandard.org

Richard Geddes wrote:
> I'm new to eclipse webtools. I've been using bluefish for html and
> cssed for css. Before I invest time learning the ins & outs of the
> eclipse tools for html/css would you please give me some advice on using
> the eclipse tools for html/css vs other tools.
>
> Thanks
> R

It's hard to give you an exact answer with out knowing what you are
looking for. In regards to the editors, they provide all the standard
features including content assistance, syntax coloring, etc that you
would expect. You need to install the full WTP suite to get the Visual
Web Page Designer which gives you WYSIWYMG editing. They also provide
validation of all the content against the HTML 4.0 spec and dtd as well.

But again, it's hard to get specific without more detail.

Dave
Re: Survey: Do you use the built-in html-css tools? [message #71846 is a reply to message #71809] Fri, 23 May 2008 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Messages: 53
Registered: July 2009
Member
Sorry, I was a little confused.. I thought that WST in the standard J2EE
install supplied the HTML/CSS/JS tools. Since I'm new to eclipse,
what's the easiest way to get the full WTP suite?

Anyway, because programming web apps usually involves a variety of tools
(and now a-days HTML/CSS/JS seems to be the min requirement), it looks
like eclipse can house a majority of them under one roof... that's
attractive to me. You don't have to relearn the different ways
development tools behave. The catch is... if the overhead (not code,
but people issues... learning, administration, etc.) for using eclipse
becomes the focus, I loose sight of what I originally wanted to complete.

Thanks
R

David Carver wrote:
> Richard Geddes wrote:
>> I'm new to eclipse webtools. I've been using bluefish for html and
>> cssed for css. Before I invest time learning the ins & outs of the
>> eclipse tools for html/css would you please give me some advice on
>> using the eclipse tools for html/css vs other tools.
>>
>> Thanks
>> R
>
> It's hard to give you an exact answer with out knowing what you are
> looking for. In regards to the editors, they provide all the standard
> features including content assistance, syntax coloring, etc that you
> would expect. You need to install the full WTP suite to get the Visual
> Web Page Designer which gives you WYSIWYMG editing. They also provide
> validation of all the content against the HTML 4.0 spec and dtd as well.
>
> But again, it's hard to get specific without more detail.
>
> Dave
Re: Survey: Do you use the built-in html-css tools? [message #71903 is a reply to message #71846] Sat, 24 May 2008 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: dcarver.starstandard.org

Richard Geddes wrote:
> Sorry, I was a little confused.. I thought that WST in the standard J2EE
> install supplied the HTML/CSS/JS tools. Since I'm new to eclipse,
> what's the easiest way to get the full WTP suite?

Yes, it does supply it. Again, not sure what you are asking in regards
to the HTML/CSS and Javascript editor (btw, there is a much improved
Javascript editor in Web Tools 3.0).

As for your question, yes I use the built in HTML/CSS and XML tools
within eclipse.

Dave
Re: Survey: Do you use the built-in html-css tools? [message #71921 is a reply to message #71903] Sat, 24 May 2008 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Messages: 53
Registered: July 2009
Member
OK... right again... although I was expecting a perspective to go along
with each corresponding tool... for example the CSS capabilities in
eclipse seem to be syntax highlighting and features that help organize
the code... CSS isn't too complicated as far as code structure... what
is taxing when writing CSS is remembering all the CSS attributes, which
version they belong to, as well as things like the colors (there are
some std color names and when you want to create a custom color, etc)

I was hoping that eclipse would be comparable to cssed
(http://cssed.sourceforge.net/) and bluefish
(http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html)

You mentioned installing the full WTP, but didn't say the easiest way to
install it... does the full WTP come in the J2EE install (ie do I
already have it?)

R

David Carver wrote:
> Richard Geddes wrote:
>> Sorry, I was a little confused.. I thought that WST in the standard
>> J2EE install supplied the HTML/CSS/JS tools. Since I'm new to
>> eclipse, what's the easiest way to get the full WTP suite?
>
> Yes, it does supply it. Again, not sure what you are asking in regards
> to the HTML/CSS and Javascript editor (btw, there is a much improved
> Javascript editor in Web Tools 3.0).
>
> As for your question, yes I use the built in HTML/CSS and XML tools
> within eclipse.
>
> Dave
>
Re: Survey: Do you use the built-in html-css tools? [message #71978 is a reply to message #71921] Sat, 24 May 2008 23:40 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: dcarver.starstandard.org

> You mentioned installing the full WTP, but didn't say the easiest way to
> install it... does the full WTP come in the J2EE install (ie do I
> already have it?)

Yes, the full WTP is included in the J2EE install.

Dave
Previous Topic:How to change debug instruction pointer color?
Next Topic:Dev2QA docs
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Jan 30 18:06:48 GMT 2023

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.03305 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top