Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Target Management » RemoteSystemsTempFiles File Versions
RemoteSystemsTempFiles File Versions [message #699063] Wed, 20 July 2011 18:44 Go to next message
Jarrod  is currently offline Jarrod Friend
I've been searching for a new IDE for the past several weeks after maxing my frustration with my last one. I've finally come to settle on Eclipse after a few hiccups, but there's one more feature I'm wondering if I can get set up myself or if I'd need to request it as a feature.

I edit all my web files remotely and I like having the RemoteSystemsTempFiles keep the latest saved version in case a coworker overwrites my most recent updates on the actual server (this has happened a few times recently, which is another reason I've switched to Eclipse). It's perfect that it saves these files in the same directory structure as the remote server.

I'm wondering if it's possible to save these files incrementally with an additional timestamp in the filename, so that it actually creates a separate file every time I actually save it.

If anybody has any experience with EditPlus (Windows only, and I'm on a Mac), another coworker of mine uses it and it has this same feature. Every single time a file is saved, a local copy is created under the same "Connection\Remote FilePath\Remote FileName.Timestamp" structure.

Thanks for your help.
Re: RemoteSystemsTempFiles File Versions [message #699066 is a reply to message #699063] Wed, 20 July 2011 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Oberhuber is currently offline Martin OberhuberFriend
Try Window > Show View > Other : Team : History

The local history keeps a snapshot of every "save" in your workspace, including files edited through RSE. So you can even revert changes made by yourself Smile
Re: RemoteSystemsTempFiles File Versions [message #699072 is a reply to message #699066] Wed, 20 July 2011 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jarrod  is currently offline Jarrod Friend
I do not currently see any information listed in that History window. I have double-checked the Preferences and unchecked the "Limit history size" checkbox as hard drive space is not an issue. Are there any other settings that should be changed? I tried opening and editing several files that I had edited previously today as well, with no information shown in the History window.

Is my local history automatically saved when I exit Eclipse and reloaded automatically when I start Eclipse?

I did just notice a bug with RemoteSystemsTempFiles as well. I have several remote connections set up for different websites, many of which are on the same server and therefore use the same hostname. I opened one connection and edited my index.php file, then opened another connection and it's corresponding index.php file which then overwrote the first index.php file in the RemoteSystemsTempFiles directory. Is it possible to have the top level RemoteSystemsTempFiles directories named after my Connection Name instead of the actual Host Name? Or was the intended method to only set up one Remote Connection per server, and have each domain set up as its own Filter?
Re: RemoteSystemsTempFiles File Versions [message #715168 is a reply to message #699072] Fri, 12 August 2011 15:24 Go to previous message
David McKnight is currently offline David McKnightFriend
Hi Jarrod,

Once the "Limit history size" checkbox is unchecked I think subsequent edits
should maintain history - at least, I haven't had any problems with that.

Regarding the RemoteSystemTempFiles, RSE currently uses the hostname to
determine the temp file location (rather than the connection name). The
original intent was to avoid having multiple copies of the same temp file.
I suppose this could be worked around by defining a second connection using
an IP address or a qualified hostname rather than a short hostname.

"Jarrod" <forums-noreply@eclipse.org> wrote in message
news:j078fh$642$1@news.eclipse.org...
>I do not currently see any information listed in that History window. I
>have double-checked the Preferences and unchecked the "Limit history size"
>checkbox as hard drive space is not an issue. Are there any other settings
>that should be changed? I tried opening and editing several files that I
>had edited previously today as well, with no information shown in the
>History window.
>
> Is my local history automatically saved when I exit Eclipse and reloaded
> automatically when I start Eclipse?
>
> I did just notice a bug with RemoteSystemsTempFiles as well. I have
> several remote connections set up for different websites, many of which
> are on the same server and therefore use the same hostname. I opened one
> connection and edited my index.php file, then opened another connection
> and it's corresponding index.php file which then overwrote the first
> index.php file in the RemoteSystemsTempFiles directory. Is it possible to
> have the top level RemoteSystemsTempFiles directories named after my
> Connection Name instead of the actual Host Name? Or was the intended
> method to only set up one Remote Connection per server, and have each
> domain set up as its own Filter?
Previous Topic:RSE 2048 key?
Next Topic:How to programmatically refresh a file subsystem view?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:37:54 GMT 2024