Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Target Management » Questions about debugging on target via Target Management vs typical CDT
Questions about debugging on target via Target Management vs typical CDT [message #698577] Tue, 19 July 2011 18:12 Go to next message
Jusctsch  is currently offline Jusctsch Friend
Hello all,
I have a setup which would work great for gdbserver.
I would like to keep my sources local, my symbol file local. The target is currently running a stripped binary of my intended-to-debug program.
However, the platform doesn't currently have a thread-conscious gdbserver (FreeBSD), so we can throw out that idea. Also, there is no UI on the target system and I would like to debug it via a UI such as Eclipse.

So, it would seem that the best solution would be to attempt a gdb session over ssh, and pump that into the Eclipse UI. If only this was simple; there are at least 3 methods AFAIK in which I could do this, being the following:
(in the debug configuration tab)

C/C++ Attach to Application
GDB Hardware Debugger
Target Communication Framework (? purpose of posting here)

My question is then, is this something that is still in the area of RSE/TM? Should I be using the 'Target Communication Framework' or should I make do with the above two.
Any thoughts on which of them is closer to my situation, or are they functionally equivalent?

Thanks-!

*Edit*
For those stumbling on this question looking for answers, this may provide something...
htt p://w w w.slideshare.net/kepler2/eclipse-con-talk2273

[Updated on: Wed, 20 July 2011 15:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Questions about debugging on target via Target Management vs typical CDT [message #698751 is a reply to message #698577] Wed, 20 July 2011 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Oberhuber is currently offline Martin OberhuberFriend
This is all under CDT now - including TCF which is now a project under CDT.

- For TCF, you will have to run a TCF agent on your target. I recommend asking on
the TCF mailing list https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/tcf-dev about
TCF cross debugger maturity and whether anyone tried compiling the agent on
FreeBSD yet.

- GDB Hardware debugger is not an option IMO, unless you have a JTAG / ICE box ?

- The CDT "remote debugger" (using gdbserver/RSE, that component was moved from
the TM project into CDT) uses gdbserver by default, seems not what you want
since it's not thread-aware?

- For running gdb on the remote there's some (outdated) pointers here, I'm not
sure whether this still works, I'd appreciate if you update with any new findings:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/TM_and_RSE_FAQ#How_can_I_do_Remote_Debugging_with_CDT.3F

Thanks
Martin
Re: Questions about debugging on target via Target Management vs typical CDT [message #708157 is a reply to message #698751] Tue, 02 August 2011 14:13 Go to previous message
Jusctsch  is currently offline Jusctsch Friend
For those interested, I had success using the Hardware Debugger Plugin under Indigo
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/704296/#msg_704296
Previous Topic:Connection to a remote application wont show up
Next Topic:RSE memory leak
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 13:00:16 GMT 2024