Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Riena » Why exactly this UI concept of usability?
icon5.gif  Why exactly this UI concept of usability? [message #685974] Tue, 21 June 2011 08:25 Go to next message
info is currently offline infoFriend
Hello again,

I do have a big question about the UI concept of Riena. Can you tell my why did you choose especially this UI concept? Did you accomplish some studies about the usability?
Or it's just a norm of usability like DIN xxx?

The enterprise I work for is looking for new client frameworks, especially its usability.

Thanks in advance,
Thomas
Re: Why exactly this UI concept of usability? [message #685984 is a reply to message #685974] Tue, 21 June 2011 09:11 Go to previous message
Christian Campo is currently offline Christian CampoFriend
This UI concept was created by IAD-people (Interaction Designers) and not programmers Smile before Riena was started as an Eclipse Project. The concept was tested with many end users and refined.

It was then put into production in a project that went over a number of years. It has proven to work for large enterprise apps with more than 1000 different possible views in a single application. So it scales extremly well from small to large and is easy and intuitive to understand for endusers.
At the same time this navigation tree driven design makes it extremly easy to work with as an application programmer. Jumps to any(!) other part in your application is just one line of code away (including the jumpBack whereever you came from)

Since that original framework was Swing based and commercial we "converted" or rewrote most of it to be based on Eclipse, RCP, OSGi and SWT and made it open source under the name "Riena".

And it exists for a number of years now and we are running a number of larger projects based on Riena right now. So with 3.0 it is pretty mature as we see less and less new requests for enhancements coming in and its not going to go away anytime soon, since we use it in our own projects.

If you need more information or have specific questions, please let me know.....

christian campo
Previous Topic:Target platform URL incorrect
Next Topic:Revoke Module/Submodule close action/event
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:52:31 GMT 2024