Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Data type rules - Can someone explain this concept to me?
Data type rules - Can someone explain this concept to me? [message #685770] Sun, 19 June 2011 18:50 Go to next message
john doe is currently offline john doeFriend
I have read the tutorial on data types here (www.eclipse.org/Xtext/documentation/latest/xtext.html#datatypeRules), however I still don't really get why you would use a data type rule instead of a terminal rule.

If you look at the link above, why could you not just do the following instead?
terminal QUALIFIEDNAME :
  ID ('.' ID)*
;

Why can't we declare this as a lexer (terminal) rule instead of a parser rule? What exactly is a data type rule?

Thanks
Re: Data type rules - Can someone explain this concept to me? [message #685771 is a reply to message #685770] Sun, 19 June 2011 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Hi,

terminal rules go into the lexer. leing is done in the first phase of the parsing process and is done context free => ID ('.' ID)* will be always parsed
as that and something like parent=ID "." child=ID won't be possible. datatype rules are like other parser rules context sensitive.

~Christian

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Data type rules - Can someone explain this concept to me? [message #685774 is a reply to message #685771] Sun, 19 June 2011 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply. When you say that

parent=ID "." child=ID

won't be possible, why is that?

And why would I not just define a terminal rule instead? Such as
that outlined in my first post?

Thank you!

[Updated on: Sun, 19 June 2011 19:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Data type rules - Can someone explain this concept to me? [message #685775 is a reply to message #685774] Sun, 19 June 2011 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
hi, if the lexer finds a x.y in the text it will be always parsed as a fqn and never as and ID followed by a . followe by a ID.
the lexers thus creates a token stream of the file and handles this to the parser.
so if the parser wants and ID and a . and another ID but always gets and FQN you ll get an unexpected token error.

So the basic problem is that there is first lexing (context free) and then parsing.

=> Terminal rules are for the lexer, Datatype rules for the parser
=> Terminal rules are context free, datatype rules are context sensitive.

~Christian

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Data type rules - Can someone explain this concept to me? [message #685776 is a reply to message #685775] Sun, 19 June 2011 19:37 Go to previous message
Makes sense.
Thank you very much for the help Christian.

Previous Topic:[Xtext2] Xtend RichStrings: Where is «REM»«ENDREM»?
Next Topic:DSL with mandatory prefix - incorporate in grammar ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 06:46:07 GMT 2024